Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

How do I correct the TC: P0172 System too Rich Bank 1?Car

How do I correct the...
How do I correct the TC: P0172 System too Rich Bank 1?

Car Info-- 2000 Dodge Stratus SE 2.4L SFI DOHC around 88k miles.

Current Story-- Water pump began to leak. Replaced water pump, timing belt, PS belt, Acc belt and not needed but replaced plugs and wires as well. Set timing per timing marks on crankshaft and cam sprockets. rotated engine 2 times by hand. Started car Idel was real rough. Rechecked timing and found Exhaust cam a couple teeth off, reset and rechecked timing marks.. again turned engine over a couple times by hand. restarted and had very similar results. took it to a garage on the way there it ran fine under exceleration. Mechanic told me it was misfiring on multiple cylinders. took the car back home. pulled every thing back apart. rechecked everything and then rechecked my recheck a few times...could not find anything wrong.. put it all back together again.
restarted engine, ran good at first, then as engine warmed it started to run rough at idle, also gave code ( on my friends OBD II/CAN reader) P0172 System too Rich Bank 1.

Began a thourough check of everything.
Cold engine Compression Test 190-210psi all cylinders
Norm Engine operating Temp compression test 200-215psi all cylinders
Leak down test cold and warm 20% cold ~12% warm
Fuel pressure at rail 47-49 PSI
Fuel injectors Operating and non-leaking
Vacuum hoses could not find any leaks

What did I miss? What do I need to check next/again?
8/14/2013
Ryan-CTech
Ryan-CTech, Dodge Enthusiast
Experience: Technical-minded multi-skilled auto mechanic with over 10 years’ experience in all aspects of repairing, maintaining and servicing a diverse range of automobiles.

Dodge-Tech :

Welcome to JA!

That code could indicate a problem with the Mass Air Flow Sensor / Dirty Fuel Injectors / An Exhaust Leak Before an O2 Sensor or a failing O2 Sensor :)

Thats where I would start. Please let me know after you have checked these items :)

Customer:

Thank you for your reply. This car does not have a MAF sensor, already checked injectors, not sure about O2sensor, Will check that as time allows this evening..

Customer:

also forgot to include in my original question, that at norm operating temp with the car at idle has the timing jumping from -6deg to 22deg adv with the RPM ranging from 645 to 870ish.

Dodge-Tech :

That would be because of the Fuel issue. Its adjusting the timing to compensate for the fuel delivery.

Dodge-Tech :

Here is a technical description of that fault code. I accidentally entered a wrong engine the first time so I apologize for that.

Dodge-Tech :

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?vhhb46z0xlo706r

Cause and Solution is included. :)

Customer:

ok per your attachment here are the results

Customer:

coolant sensor has normal readings with engine both cold and warm, no engine mechanical issues, fuel pressure at 47psi., upstream O2 sensor checked out good both cold and hot. Pulled the fuel rail and pressurized the system, the injectors do not leak. with this information do you still learn toward a fuel issue? Or are you thinking its a timing issue? such as its off just enough to have the intake valves not open during the correct portion of the intake stroke? I am asking this because the engine ran good until I changed the water pump and timing belt.

Dodge-Tech :

It is possible to have placed the timing a tooth or two off yes :) And that would cause the problem.

Customer:

yes it does now seem to be a timing issue. I advanced the crankshaft one tooth placed the belt back on and ran the car through a heat cycle. still had the timing jumping around a little but that and the RPM were not fluctuating as much as before. I am gonna play with the timing through out the day. I will respond with result and your rating this evening as time allows

Customer:

now I am getting a P0700 code. the tranny has been in park with the car on jack stands now for a couple weeks so not sure what would cause that. gonna have to recheck to make sure everything is plugged in. if I want to do a ready test how can I go about that? the car is currently out of inspection in my state. Can I do this with the car stationary?

Dodge-Tech :

Here is the timing guide if you need it :)

Dodge-Tech :

And here is some info on that trouble code. I think the code will clear and off after the car has run for a while :)

Dodge-Tech :

Keep me posted :)

Customer:

TY :) that attachment for the timing guide was just what I needed.. I have several pics of the same thing but with out that line going across the cam gears... as soon as I saw that I Was like wait a minute.. went back to the car saw that I was misaligned. Reset cam marks per your info restarted the car and its like a diff engine. TY again very much.. as far as that TC: P0700 it was gone the next time I ran the engine, was like a one time thing.

Ryan-CTech
Ryan-CTech, Dodge Enthusiast
Awesome!

Thats what I like to hear. Glad it working right now :)

one last question would be do you know of a way to shortcut the drive cycle. if I do a readiness test, I still have several monitors that have not reset yet. as the car is currently out of inspection I am not sure if I wanna be driving it around for 3 or 4 days to complete the drive cycle. again thank you for your information.

Not without a Dealer DRBII Scan tool. :(
Ryan-CTech
Ryan-CTech
Ryan-CTech, Dodge Enthusiast