Neal
Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth
17294534

Dodge Durango SLT: I just bought a 00 Durango with the 5.9.

I just bought a 00 Durango with the 5.9. the transmission will not move in any gear. is there any way to determine exactly what the cause is without sophisticated equipment. also will any other vehicles tranny work?

Hello I'm Neal and I am here to help resolve your issue. If I cannot help I will opt out and refer your question to another expert.

How does the fluid look and smell?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the fluid doesn't smell burnt but it is kind of brown and feels sticky so I believe they may have put something in it to try to fix it.

It might be, but the color indicates there might be a lot of friction material in the fluid. You might consider pulling the pan and checking the filter. The 2000 is a single year trans and you will need one from another 2000.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

can it be a Dakota or pickup?

Yes a Dakota or a Durango will work if it is a 2000 with a 5.9.