George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master 15+ years
13574682

Dodge RAM 2500 4x4: What is the white wire with a gray stripe

What is the white wire with a gray stripe for in a 2006 dodge 2500 mega cab. I know that it goes to the right side park lights. It goes to something else in the cab. I keep blowing the fuse for the right park lights. If I pull the wire out of the main connector under the dash it will not blow the fuse.

Hello I will help you with your question,

This is fuse 16 that you are blowing?

The wire diagram is here

As you can see the wire runs from the fuse to the front, rear and side marker lights. In addition it runs to clearance lamps if you have them

Let me know how I Can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

where does it go in the cab

Do you have clearance lights?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I do not. Does the light on the back of the cab use this wire?

Yes, front back and sides are all on the #16 fuse, the diagram below shows the lamp center bezel. This lamp is not installed on your truck but I believe the wiring for it is there.

This runs from the fuse block in the front inside as shown. I do not have a harness diagram so you will have to trace it.

Click here fr diagram.

A good way to troubleshoot a dead short is to install a light bulb with extension wires on it in place of the fuse, as long as the bulb is lit the short is present. This allows you to move wires around until the lamp goes out. When it does look for the short in the area you just moved.

Let me know how I can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so it goes to the lamp in the middle of the dash just above the center console? I had the dash out a few days ago to replace a broke recerc door on the A/C

The wire certainly could have been pinched then.

Let me know how I can help

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will try to trace it down. Sucks if I have to pull the dash back out.

If you are sure that is where the problem is I would cut the wire on both ends where it runs behind the dash and solder in another to bypass the pinched section.

Let me know what I can do to help

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

if it just goes to the one light in the dash I might just leave it dissconnected for the time being until I can get a Schematic that tells me where all it goes. Thanks for the help.

I think all the wiring is there for the clearance lights so you might have quite a bit behind the trim.

The splice 241 is where the bezel light breaks out.

Click here for diagram

Splice 106 is where all the wires break out

Clicki here

Let me know how I can help

Thanks