Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

D150: Re-installed steering column on 1989 Dodge D150 318 with

Customer Question
Re-installed steering column on 1989...
Re-installed steering column on 1989 Dodge D150 318 with replacement ignition cylinder lock (out of 1986 D150) and plugged in everything I could see.
Now, when key is turned I get buzzers and lights, but no starter. Starter works - I CAN start truck by turning key on and jumping the starter, but I cannot start with the key. I'm sure something is mis- or dis-connected. I need help figuring out what I've done wrong.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dodge
9/24/2012
Dodge Mechanic: Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics replied 5 years ago
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics

Check voltage with Key turned to "CRANK" position on the YELLOW wire at the Ignition Switch & the Starter Solenoid

let me know what you find

Please forgive me ahead of time for being slow and stupid - my so called "Mechanic" has no-showed on me 4 days straight and left me with this mess. grrrr Pictures and diagrams and oodles of descriptive detail will be very helpful to me. :)

What/where is the "Ignition Switch"?

I think I've seen something that might be the ignition switch on the steering column somewhere - does that sound right?

I think I've figured out that my starter solenoid is mounted on the starter on this truck - does that sound right?

Again, I am soooo sorry that I am so stupid - if you think I'll be too much to deal with, please feel free to send me elsewhere.

not a problem..........

is this a Tilt Steering Wheel?

Automatic or Manual Transmission?

Thank You. :)

No tilt, automatic tranny (DGGS 3spd auto 32RH - according to Dodge)

thank you for the added info...........

without tilt, the ignition switch is inside the column attached to the lock housing.
You can get to the harness for the Ignition Switch, below the steering column, under the dash, remove the dash panel under steering column to get to the harness

These wires should be present in the harness

Constant 12 volts = RED AND PINK
Ignition 12 volts = DARK BLUE
Ignition #2 = BLACK/RED
Accessory = BLACK
Starter = YELLOW

Each wire should have Voltage when the Key is turned to its function

Check these with a Volt Meter or Test Light & let me know what you find

aaarrrggghh!

The bundle of wires that is coming out of what seems to be the lock cylinder area does not have a yellow wire.

There is a smaller bundle that is plugged into something mounted on top of the steering column that has a yellow wire.

I tried to take pics - difficult when I'm upside down in the dark.

This is wire bundle under column, coming out of lock area:

bundle coming out of lock area

and this one is smaller bundle on TOP of column (crappy upsidedown photo):

small bundle on TOP of column

Pictures show the Turn Signal Harness

There should be another harness in that area that contain the wires I posted
YELLOW is for a "1989" Dodge
You can also test for Voltage at the "S" Terminal on the Starter Solenoid with key held in "crank" position
As you posted that you can "jumper" the starter, so I am assuming you are jumpering the "S" Terminal at the Starter Solenoid

Ok. We tested the wire bundle in the second photo - mounted on top of the column - only bundle with a yellow wire.

Here is what we got:

Red and Pink - 11.6+ constant

Dark Blue (Ign #2) - 11.6+ at crank position

Black with white stripe (maybe ur Black/Red?) - 11.6+ at crank position

Black (solid) ACC - 0.0 at any position

Starter - Yellow - 11.6+ at crank position

was that at the Steering Column harness?

check the Firewall Plug PIN 31 & over to the Starter Relay & then to the Solenoid onthe YELLOW wire with Ignition Switch held in Crank position
Sounds like the Relay is bad

The Relay is located On LH Fender, Above Wheelwell

I don't know if it was at the steering column harness or not. It was the bundle of wires that matched your list and colors the closest. It was the bundle in the 2nd photo - which is located at the TOP of the steering column.

I did not test any of the wires in the flat ribbon wire (which did NOT have any yellow wires -1st photo) - this one is running inside a vinyl-tape-like cover at the bottom of the steering column.

Forgive me if I misspoke - just to clarify - I have not personally jumped anything. The so called mechanic "jumped the starter" - HIS words.

All I have done is plug in wires after the steering column was installed by the mechanic who left me with this.

I have not yet laid eyes on the starter, but I am about to go crawl under and see what I can find.

Once I find the starter, I'm hoping I can successfully find and test the yellow wire there.

And again, forgive the stupidity - can u tell me what and where the " Firewall Plug PIN 31" that you mention is?

UPDATE:

Found the starter, I think. The solenoid seems to be attached - there are 2 posts - one fatter squarish feeling one (cannot see, only touch) with a large red wire attached to it, one skinny pointy post with a skinny black wire attached to it.

Big square post = 13.+ at rest, 12.9 at crank position

Skinny, pointy post - 0.0 at rest and at crank

I also located the starter relay on the fender - tried to test the skinny yellow wire coming out of it - 0.0 at rest and at crank - but I'm not sure I got a good connection.

one skinny pointy post with a skinny black wire attached to it.

if you tested that with Key held in Crank position, be sure there is voltage + on the RED wire of the Relay & voltage + on the YELLOW wire of the Relay

I would "replace" the Starter Relay on the Fender well if there is

Ok, sorry for the delay, had to wait on help. Here's what we got when we tested the wires in the Starter Relay (on fender above wheel well)

Red wire - 5.8 constant (even with key off and out)- drops to 5.4 when key turned to crank position.

Yellow wire - 0.0 at key off and key on position - jumps to 8.+ at crank position then drops to 4 - 5.something.

Does that indicate that the starter relay is bad? It looks almost new - not that it means anything. New can be bad too.

I am concerned with the 5.8 volts on the RED wire, as that comes directly from a Fuseable Link near the Battery & should be 12 volts
Be sure Battery is fully charged
If so, you can try a fused jumper wire to the RED wire & see if it cranks with key
or replace Relay

Naturally, no parts house in the area has this relay in stock (too old I guess). I've ordered one - it'll be next week ... maybe.

If that doesn't fix it I'm thinking I'll just have a button installed. :)

A friend finally came out and ran a piece of Romex looking wire from the battery, and that fuseable link you mentioned above.
I CAN start the truck by turning the key to the ON position and touching wires together at the other end of said Romex. Does that tell you anything new?

Maybe I'll just have an old truck with a new push-button start - that's the style these days isn't it? :)

Bypassing the Relay & / or Clutch (manual trans)/ Park (automatic) Switch is all that is doing, but if parts are not available, you do what you need to do.......
Push Button would also work, but is not as safe........

Jerry, Master Mechanic