Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2006 dodge ram 2500: i locate the service port to charge the a/c

how do i locate the...
how do i locate the service port to charge the a/c on a 2006 dodge ram 2500 diesel
6/22/2012
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hello and welcome, Super mechanic here. I will do my best to help you with your question. My goal is to help save you money and I hope you will be completely satisfied with my answer. You have the hit happy face for me to get paid for the answer. If you need any more on it just let me know. NOTE: Hitting “helped a little”, or “ I expected more”, that is negative feedback for me and we don’t get paid. Thanks

..

About your vehicle.

.

The high side service port is located on the A/C discharge line. The A/C pressure transducer is mounted on the high side service port. The low side service port is located either on the top of the A/C accumulator or on the A/C suction line near the accumulator, depending on engine application. Both the high side and low side A/C service port valve cores are serviceable.

.

.

You will want to charge it through the low side line. #6 in the diagram.

.

graphic

..

.

Thanks

the diagram doesnt look anything like my unit. There is a line coming off the top with a hex nut ~1 in below it, a second line coming off the drivers side. Both lines appear to be about the same diameter. Can you give me more info?

That is all the information that I have on it, but wait there may be another expert who has more. I will opt out and open it back up. Please don’t reply to this post as that will lock the question back to me, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.

bill
bill, dodge master tech

hi i'm bill
welcome to just answer
please remember I am NOT there in front of you! my answers are based on your information.

is this a factory system? or was the truck retrofitted with an aftermarket system? it sounds like the system is aftermarket.

It is a factory system, everything is completely stock. I bought the truck new in 06.

may i have the vin number i need to verify something, none of the factory a/c systems ever used a nut and ferrule design that you describe, we always used a spring type quick connect, i suspect that the dealer installed the a/c long before you purchased the truck.

vin # XXXXX XXXXX

ok it was originally supplied with a/c, but i do not understand why you have a different looking system BUT,the locations and procedures are the same, on the firewall there is a large black or silver cylinder, with 1 large black rubber a/c line coming off of it the other side goes into the firewall this is the accumulator and where you will find the service port, it should have a black plastic cap on it, the accumulator is a bit difficult to see on the diesel as it sits under the cowl panel, the picture super mechanic sent you is that of the accumulator, it is very close to the right battery and you may need a flash light to see it.

bill
bill, dodge master tech
Found it!! Thanks for the great guidance. One minor comment. I was looking at the right side as standing in front of the truck. It finally hit me that the right side may be the passenger side and you know the rest of the story. Again, thanks for the help.

no problem you have no idea how many people forget right is passenger side my wife does it ALL the time have a great night.

also be very careful adding refrigerant the diesel takes a different amount than the gas engine and may not be as cool at idle due to that monster cooling fan we use, at idle it turns too slow and dosen't draw a ton of air through the condensor.

Thanks for the response. The refrigerant is added and cooling great.
thanks please don't forget to rate my answer
bill
bill
bill, dodge master tech