TIM
TIM, SERVICE MANAGER
Experience:  DODGE SERVICE MANAGER- 20 + YEARS
6531745

2007 Dodge: new front shocks..4x4..shock store a few minutes..struts

I was told yesterday that I need new front shocks on my 2007 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton 4x4. Cost of just over $500. I spoke to a shock store a few minutes ago and he is saying it is the struts. The service manager at the Dodge dealer said the shocks were leaking. Can you help me with what the issue is? The truck just went over 50,000miles this past weekend.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  TIM replied 5 years ago.

TIM :

hello, shocks- struts-- tomato -tomoto--- the truck does have front struts -- not shocks -- some people will say strut some say shock-- either way they are very expensive,tim

Customer:

Do you have any suggestions for good off road struts for a Dodge 1/2 ton 4x4? What kind of cost should I be looking at for replacement and labor?

Customer:

That answer was not worth $29.00

Customer:

I was hoping for something more comprehensive with suggestions on type of strut and how to best attack the situation.

Customer:

email [email protected]

TIM :

I would replace the strut with MOPAR parts OEM-- if you are looking for an aftermarket part I would sugges a RANCHERO part-- they have a good name and good quality

TIM :

the stuts take about an hour a side to replace -- would you like me to post procedure

Customer:

procedure meaning what?

Customer:

Is Ranchero a name brand for off road?

TIM :

the procedure to remove and install

TIM :

and yes-- Rancheros is the name brand

TIM :

sorry---RANCHO

TIM :

this is a good website for this

Customer:

found it, and they are calling them shocks right?

Customer:

thus my confusion...

TIM :

that is correct-- sometimes referred to as coil overs

Customer:

I was told about an hour per strut/shock to replace and total cost by the dealer and a tire store about $500 or a little more.

TIM :

labor is correct and price is in the ball park--

TIM :

if you wanted to upgrade you can purchase a more expensive shock-- labor will not change

Customer:

I am keeping this truck for at least 5 more years so I want something dependable

TIM :

I would purchase the dodgeMOPAR parts-- they are pretty reliable and have a lifetime part warranty-- this would be the last set you would buy for this truck-- I am not a big fan of aftermarket parts -- that is just my opinion