Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

96 dodge: 4x4 extended cab auto trans with 135,000 miles..gears

Customer Question
I have a '96 Dodge...
I have a '96 Dodge cummins 4x4 extended cab auto trans with 135,000 miles. I just turned it into a utility body and added a lot of weight to it making a mild problem worse. When she is cold, you have to rake through the gears to get her to move, and she moves slow. Once warmed up, sheis better. She popped out of gear a few times. But for the most part is a complete dog. I'm about to take her to a tranny shop thinking the torque converter is shot. This motor should be making this truck move out even with the extra weight. I read something about a throttle position switch, but I thought this truck was all mechanical. I'm in the San Francisco east bay area and could use a good referral. I know the trannies are the weak link in this truck but believe it can be fixed. Just by who is the question.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dodge
5/9/2012
Dodge Mechanic: Daniel, Dodge Technician replied 5 years ago
Daniel, Dodge Technician

Daniel :

Welcome to Just Answer. We are working on a fast accurate answer Based on the info you have provided. Your time and my time are both Very important.

Daniel :

Hi I am Daniel you have several dealers in the area or are you wanting to avoid their high prices?

Daniel :

I find

Daniel :

It is best to talk to the local automotive parts store in the area. They will usually know shop and owner by name.

Daniel :

It wont take a alot to get your truck running good. I can give procedures for throttle postion sensor and more.

Daniel :

Are you with me?

Customer: I think so. I've never live chatted before
Customer: Got it
Daniel :

Thats ok we can just go back and forth

Customer: The dealers in my area don't do diesels
Customer: Or closed up
Customer: Oakland/ Hayward
Daniel :

I need to move to cali

Daniel :

But serious

Daniel :

I am working for you as we speak

Daniel :

what about san leadro

Daniel :

sanleandro

Daniel :

they have a cummins deale there

Customer: Cummins doesnt work on "little" trucks like 3/4 or 1 ton only much larger
Customer: I did get a referral from a neighbor who works for Cummins, but I wanted to see if
Customer: Im wasting time at a tranny shop, or should I go to a diesel shop
Daniel :

american deisel or diamond deisel

Daniel :

any tranny shop can take care of you better than a deisel shop

Daniel :

regular shops dont have much tranny knowledge

Daniel :

But tranny shops have alot of shop knowledge

Daniel :

CAUTION: Before attempting to test the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) , verify the linkage adjustment dimension shown in the figure above. This dimension MUST be 126.5 mm (5.0 inches) BEFORE testing. For linkage adjustment procedures, refer to Throttle Linkage Adjustment.

CAUTION: Before testing the TPS, verify that the engine is set at correct low idle speed. Refer to Idle Speed Adjustment. This can be found in the Fuel Delivery and Air Induction system adjustments section.

After confirming the correct linkage adjustment and idle speed, proceed to the following:
Throttle Position Sensor Location

Attach a paper clip into the center terminal of the TPS electrical connector. Do not remove the connector from the TPS for this test.
Attach the positive lead of a voltmeter to this paper clip and the negative lead to a good ground.
Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. Do not start engine.
The voltage at the TPS center terminal should be 1.0 volt (+/- 0.2 volt) with linkage at idle position. The voltage at the wide open throttle position should be 3.5 volts (+/- 0.4 volts) . If voltage is not correct, proceed to adjusting linkage.
Throttle Lever Linkage Adjustment

The linkage rod connecting the throttle lever to the fuel injection pump lever is adjustable. To prevent damage to the ends of linkage, attach locking-type pliers to the flat located on the linkage rod before loosening locknuts.
Loosen the right-hand-threaded nut.
Loosen the left-hand-threaded nut.
Slowly rotate the flat on the linkage rod (lengthen or shorten) to achieve 1.0 volt (+/- 0.2 volts) on the voltmeter with the linkage in the idle position. With the throttle in the wide open position, voltage should be 3.5 volts (+/- 0.4 volts) . Do NOT lengthen or shorten the linkage rod more than 1 mm from the dimension shown. If voltage requirements cannot be met by linkage adjustment (125.6 to 127.6 mm) , replace the TPS.
Tighten both nuts after adjustment.
With the engine OFF, operate the throttle from accelerator pedal and check for throttle lever action and binding. Be sure throttle lever stop is against the low idle speed screw after throttle is released.
Be sure of wide open throttle (WOT) when accelerator pedal is pressed to the floor. This is checked by observing throttle lever breakover position. Proceed to the following:
Key OFF and engine OFF for this test.
Two people are needed for this test. From inside of the vehicle, press the accelerator pedal about half-way to the floor. Movement of both the throttle lever and throttle lever-to-injection pump lever linkage rod should be observed.
Continue to press the accelerator pedal to the floor. If throttle lever breakover is operating correctly, the throttle lever-to-injection pump lever linkage rod should have stopped moving while the throttle lever continues to move towards the rear of vehicle.
Again, check and verify low idle speed. Adjust if necessary.

Daniel :

the tranny shop can do this and if not show them procedure I have given

Daniel :

The more I think about you popping out of gear the more this may be the ticket

Daniel :

your engine moves a 77 passenger school us effortlessly

Customer: Can the Auto transmissions in these trucks be built worth a flip or should I consider a Allison swap
Daniel :

I am pro allison for sure but they have issues also. But not as much. and liked about 75 percent more than stock

Customer: That is what I thought
Daniel :

I was pulling a boat out of the water

Daniel :

and of course its time to do parking brake and let clutch out and get rpms up.

Daniel :

But with allison you walk right out of there. you can put it in 1st and not die as it will pullthrough parking brake and you just release it

Daniel :

I didnt even hardly touch the pedal

Daniel :

with 135 miles youy have alot of life left and a allison may be the way to go as there may be a need for a tranny if throttle postioning doesnt work

Daniel :

135k

Customer: It is damn expensive to swap an Allison, and I'd be willing to pay, if I thought I needed it. This is a work truck now, maybe towing in the future, but mostly carting it's own weight around. 10-11000 pounds
Daniel :

and you did right asking neighbor but get into a couple of auto parts shops also. and ask if you can use their name as a reference

Daniel :

I help people find shops all the time.

Customer: I'm thinking a good beefy rebuild would set me back $3000 but an Allison conversion I hear is twice that
Daniel :

and thats the best direction to give right there.

Daniel :

Not if you find used or salvaged.

Customer: Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX read my boy a bed time story now.
Daniel :

That is awsome

Customer: Thanks for your time
Daniel :

follow up with me even after accept.

Daniel :

no additional accept needed.

Daniel :

and you are very welcome

Daniel :

Clicking on Accept helps me as I have helped you with expertise time and resources. I have no problem helping later or even talking to shops. or looking for trannys after accept

Daniel, Dodge Technician
Usually its a 3 day follow up but I am moving yours to 2 days. Let me know how I can help you in any way.

Thanks Daniel
Daniel, Dodge Technician