Chad
Chad, Lead Master Tech
Experience:  Electrical Master,Diesel Specialist, Lead Tech/shop foreman
12781541

2000 dodge: w/cummins diesel lift pump died , replaced..inlet..freeway

2000 dodge ram w/cummins diesel lift pump died , replaced in tank pump, now have fuel at bleeder valve at inlet of injector pump. can't seem to get rest of system primed. engine was doing fine on freeway died instantly .need to find out if I lost the injector pump as well
If the lift pump went out, you definitely lost prime at each injector!
You will need to bled the air out of the injector tubes from the injection pump to the injectors.
Do you know how to do this, or do you need the procedure?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes I need the procedure

WARNING: DO NOT BLEED AIR FROM THE FUEL SYSTEM OF A HOT ENGINE.

The fuel transfer (lift) pump is self-priming: When the key is first turned on (without cranking engine), the pump operates for approximately 2 seconds and then shuts off. The pump will also operate for up to 25 seconds after the starter is quickly engaged, and then disengaged without allowing the engine to start. The pump shuts off immediately if the key is on and the engine stops running.

1. Turn key to CRANK position and quickly release key to ON position before engine starts. This will operate fuel transfer pump for approximately 25 seconds.
  2. If fuel is not present at fuel supply line after 25 seconds, turn key OFF. Repeat previous step until fuel is exiting at fuel supply line.
  3. Tighten banjo bolt at fuel supply line to 24 N·m (18 ft. lbs.) torque. Primary air bleeding is now completed.
  4. Attempt to start engine. If engine will not start, proceed to following steps. If engine does start, it may run erratically and be very noisy for a few minutes. This is a normal condition.
  5. Continue to next step if:
    • The vehicle fuel tank has been allowed to run empty
    • The fuel injection pump has been replaced
    • High-pressure fuel lines have been replaced
    • Vehicle has not been operated after an extended period

CAUTION: Do not engage the starter motor for more than 30 seconds at a time. Allow two minutes between cranking intervals.

6. Perform previous air bleeding procedure steps using fuel transfer pump. Be sure fuel is present at fuel supply line Fuel Supply Line Banjo Bolt before proceeding.
  7. Crank the engine for 30 seconds at a time to allow air trapped in the injection pump to vent out the drain manifold

WARNING: THE FUEL INJECTION PUMP SUPPLIES EXTREMELY HIGH FUEL PRESSURE TO EACH INDIVIDUAL INJECTOR THROUGH THE HIGH-PRESSURE LINES. FUEL UNDER THIS AMOUNT OF PRESSURE CAN PENETRATE THE SKIN AND CAUSE PERSONAL INJURY. WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES AND ADEQUATE PROTECTIVE CLOTHING AND AVOID CONTACT WITH FUEL SPRAY WHEN BLEEDING HIGH-PRESSURE FUEL LINES.

WARNING: ENGINE MAY START WHILE CRANKING STARTER MOTOR.

Engine may start, may run erratically and be very noisy for a few minutes. This is a normal condition.

1. Thoroughly clean area around injector fittings where they join injector connector tubes.
  2. Bleed air by loosening high-pressure fuel line fittings at cylinders number 3, 4 and 5.
  3. Continue bleeding injectors until engine runs smoothly. It may take a few minutes for engine to run smooth.
  4. Tighten fuel line(s) at injector(s) to 38 N·m (28 ft. lbs.) torque.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do I loosen the fittings at the cilinder or atthe pump?
At the head where the line goes into the cylinder head.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how loose ?
About 1/4 turn, you will know it is loose enough when you see a little fuel or bubbles come out.
But once you see steady fuel without bubbles tighten that one up.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK I'll try that and get back to you
ok
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
O K only got slight amount of fuel and then no moreFrown made me a little nervous so I hooked up my scanner and got 3 codes 253 , 1688 , 252 and that killed my day cuz I think that means dead injector pump
P-0253 FUEL INJECTION PUMP FUEL VALVE OPEN CIRCUIT
P1688–INTERNAL FUEL INJECTION PUMP FAILURE.
Yes, with those two codes, your injection pump is dead.
It will need to be replaced.
Sorry.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the codes were not there before I did the lift pump but it tested out bad anyway. will one take out the other ? the truck has 200,000 mi on it
Yes, the lift pump going out can kill the injection pump.
I have had that happen to me at the shop, now I will tell customers that the lift pump has gone out, I recommend changing the injection pump also, as I have seen them go out shortly after.