Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Control panel alert: Picture of a vehicle with either a

Customer Question
Control panel alert : Picture...
Control panel alert : Picture of a vehicle with either a screw or gas cap figure next to it
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Dodge
4/28/2012
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 5 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

What model is your vehicle?

crew

That's the trim level. What model is your vehicle? Is it a Ram, Dakota, Durango, Caravan, etc?

crew durango

What number is ***** light in this diagram?

graphic

Is this the light you are seeing?

graphic

Yes!

Great!

That's the loose fuel cap light. After the engine controller sees that you have stopped and added fuel it will run an intrusive leak test on the evaporative emissions system to make sure there are no leaks. If it sees a large leak directly after fueling then it will set a loose fuel cap fault code and illuminate this light.

The most likely cause of this is a loose fuel cap, so the first thing you'll want to do is make sure it's tight.

If the cap is tight then there is a problem somewhere in the evap system causing the controller to think that the cap is loose when it's not. It could be a lack of vacuum to the purge solenoid, a bad purge solenoid, bad evaporative system integrity monitor (ESIM), ESIM wiring, a large leak in a line or component, etc. The most common cause of a gas cap light when the cap is actually tight would be a bad ESIM, which is a very minor repair. I'm assuming you are under 36,000 miles, in which case the repair would be covered under warranty if one is needed.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08