How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask sprinkles08 Your Own Question
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Category: Dodge
Satisfied Customers: 23108
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
Type Your Dodge Question Here...
sprinkles08 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

2008 Dodge Charger: So i thinking about fixing the problem myself.

This answer was rated:

I have a 2008 Dodge Charger with a P1004 code displayed. Dealer said it's goingto be a 1,000 dollar repair but the ironic thing about it is that the part only takes 1 hour of labor. So i thinking about fixing the problem myself. Three questions could this be done but a ordinary person, how much is the part and Where can i get it besides the dealership?? Is there any alternatives to fixing the problem.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.


What exactly are they saying is wrong? If it is the short runner valve it should only be about $300 for the repair.


That code is not specific in what is wrong, it is only the symptom.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

That's all the information they gave me. The car splutters sometimes at idle like it wants to cut off but it doesn't. The engine light was intermittent but now it has been on for about 3 months. I was thinking about buying the part from them for 650 because by the sound of the service department guy. You can only get the part from them. I look on a couple of forums and they say the code is assoisate with the actuator. Umm, also the dealership told me that a valve is sticking and needs to be replace apparently dodge redesign this part so that it doesn't happen again. Have you heard anything about this or is this a line of b.s.

It doesn't sound right to me, here are the possible causes for that code. And the short runner valve is on $175.


I would reccomend you get another opinion from a good private shop.





Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey thanks for your help. How do i ask another expert without leaving bad feedback. Sorry i'm new to this website.
Sorry for the delay, I will opt out if you do not want my assistance anymore, you question will be open to all experts. If no one else has another opinion they will not reply and you can respond back to me if you like.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, thanks

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!


It's not at all unlikely that the intake plenum needs to be replaced to repair this fault code. This code is for the performance of the short runner valve actuator. It can be the actuator, software, or a binding short runner valve.


The first thing that needs to be done, and probably already has, is make sure the powertrain control module software is up to date. If the car was built before a certain date then there was some revised software regarding this code setting.


The short runner valve actuator would then be removed and the valve moved by hand to see if it moved freely or not. If it didn't move freely then the plenum would need to be replaced, if it did move freely then the actuator would need to be replaced.


With your VIN number I could give you an accurate list price on the plenum for your car. There are a few different part numbers and the VIN would be needed to get you the correct number and price. It's not something you'll find aftermarket, the replacement will have to be from a Chrysler dealer or used from a junkyard.


Whether or not you can do the repair yourself depends on what you have for tools and your mechanical ability and experience. If you've removed intake manifolds in the past and normally do some intermediate level repairs then you should be able to replace it without much trouble. It calls for 1.6 hours of labor to replace it, so you should be able to have it done in roughly two hours.



Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, The Vin number is XXXXX
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Oh, I forgot to tell you that i removed the short runner valve actuator and it moves freely by hand, so it must be a bad actuator(i didn't reset the default code. Would i have to do that to get a accurate reading or will it turn off if functioning properly??). How much would that part be is it less than 650 and will i still have to do the software update. Is this only done by the dealership??

Yes, the first step in diagnosing the problem is making sure the PCM software is up to date. This should have been checked by your dealer. Check with them to make sure it was done before you replace any parts.


The VIN you supplied is invalid. I can get you a price on the actuator and plenum but double check that VIN please. I'm a full time tech and at work this afternoon so there may be a slight delay in being able to respond for the next couple of hours.






Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry about that i added a extra number in there. The vin number is XXXXX
Sorry for the delay. The plenum runs $674 plus tax, the actuator runs $187. The actuator is readily available but the plenum is back ordered, it will take a few weeks to get if ordered right now.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That's ok on the delay i figured you would be working also. Thanks for the advice you have been very helpful. I guess that is the part they were trying to order for me. I guess i will just cough the money up and be done with it. Hopefully this problem will not happen again.

With the revised software and plenum I wouldn't expect you to have problems again in the future.


If I have been helpful clicking the Accept button or a smiley face icon will give me credit for helping you. Good luck with your car!

sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Category: Dodge
Satisfied Customers: 23108
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
sprinkles08 and 5 other Dodge Specialists are ready to help you