Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

04 Dodge: Anything in particular I should ask the owner about?

Looking at buying an '04...
Looking at buying an '04 Dodge SX 2.0 Sport. Anything in particular I should ask the owner about? Anything to be concerned about?
4/24/2012
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech

Brad :

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.. May I ask you what kind of Vehicle this is? Avenger, Stratus? Thanks!!

Brad :

Would you happen to have the last 8 of the VIN?

Customer: Dodge SX 2.0 Sport
Customer: No
Brad :

Ok, Do you know if the timing belt has been replaced?

Brad :

How about the mileage?

Customer: I haven't spoken with the owner yet. Is the timing belt a concern with that vehicle in particular?
Customer: Mileage is only 96000kms
Brad :

Ok, that is only about 60,000 Miles.. The timing belt is a issue with any vehicle that is timing belt driven. The maintence schedule is 105,000Miles

Brad :

So you are ok for now...But get it changed before 105,000Miles along with the water pump....

Brad :

The spark plugs should be changed every 30,000 miles and wires

Brad :

Transmission should be serviced at 60,000Miles

Brad :

Make sure check engine light isn't on..

Brad :

Check brakes..

Brad :

Make sure oil has been changed every 3,000Miles

Customer: Right. But I guess I'm trying to get a sense for how often these cars have problems.
Brad :

I understand.. These are very good vehicles.. If you keep up the maintence, you should have very little trouble...

Customer: I had a grand caraven that I had to replace 2 transmissions.
Customer: So I'm wondering if there tends to be a certain chronic type of problem with these
Customer: Are there? Will I likely have to replace a transmission before 200 thousand kms? Or another significant issue?
Brad :

That is only 125,000 miles and I do not see any reason why you will need a transmission before then.. Make sure the transmission fluid and filter has been changed...

Brad :

Service transmission every 60,000Miles

Customer: Some owners of these have complained of a shaking when it gets to hwy speed. Is that a timing belt issue? Or have you heard of this being a problem?
Brad :

No, if there is a shaking at highway speeds that will be a tire issue.. That is not the timing belt.

Brad :

I have not heard of the shaking issue...

Customer: Any recurrent issues with this vehicle that I should know so that I know what I'm getting into?
Brad :

Just a sec, im looking for you..

Brad :

There are issue about the vehicle skipping-Misfiring.. You will need a software update to the Computer to correct this.. An issue with a popping in front suspension, the repair is Installing a rubber gasket to CV axle....

Brad :

And the factory radio won't play burnt cd's...

Brad :

That's about it....

Brad :

Have I answered all of your questions?

Customer: Do the above issues cost very much to have repaired?
Brad :

No, all the repair (If needed) will be less that 500.00

Brad :

The main issue is customer's not keep the maintence up on these vehicles..

Customer: Thanks for your help today
Brad :

You are very welcome!!!!

Brad :

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer!!!

-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
-Brad-
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech