jeepmopar76
jeepmopar76, Dodge/Chrysler Triple Master Tech
Experience:  32 yr ASE Master Tech,9 yr Chrysler Master Tech, 13 years Dodge dealership service
16831211

2004 Dodge Durango: SLT V8, 4.7..injectors, spark plugs..000 miles

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Dodge Durango, SLT V8, 4.7, Coming up with P0308 MOD $00Cylinder 8 Misfire -----------------------------------------------P0032 MOD $00Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater ControlCircuit High Bank 1 Sensor, P0308 MOD $00Cylinder 8 Misfire,P0032 MOD $00Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater ControlCircuit High Bank 1 Sensor 1PENDING.

The coils, injectors, spark plugs, crankshaft sensor, O2 Sensors, fuel pump all have been replaced, did a engine flush, and vehicle has been serviced. Don't know whatelse to do....Veh has about 156,000 miles.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  jeepmopar76 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Denny; now let me see if I can help you with your Dodge question.

Next you need to remove the valve cover to see if the rocker ( follower) is in place on #8. You probably have a sticking valve; they stick in carbon that gets dragged up into the valve guide.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do you go about cleaning this?
You are going to have to have the heads ( I would do both at the same time), removed and a valve job done. The bottom end will be ok for a long while yet,( as long as the oil pick up screen doesn't plug with sludge), so this head job is the weak link. Timing chain and guides also suggested while you are down,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't understand what your saying, can you please elaborate and be clearer
I will reply with more details at lunch
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The 4.7 is known for valves sticking; carbon is being dragged up the valve guide making the valve stick open for a split second; it may not even feel like a miss-fire and it may show good compression, but the computer reads it.

A bad sticking valve will actually throw off a cam follower, and you will find it laying in the valve cover. Either way you will need to have a valve job done on the one head; I suggest doing both with that many miles.

I suggested the timing chains and guides, if they have not already been done, since you will have both heads off anyway.

As far as the pick up screen in the oil pump; this is the down fall of many a good 4.7 engines. Don't worry about if you bought it new, and have changed oil regularly

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So why is it just giving the misfire in cylinder 8?
That is the only valve sticking right now
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Could it be anything else? Cause now the vehicle was stalling.......the coils were changed, fuel injectors, fuel pump, crank shaft sensor, O2 Sensors, I am think maybe a coil is bad, cause when the pigtails are tested they are getting power. If thats not it, I dont know whatelse it can be
One last thing to try; you are getting 12v to the orange wire (i think) at the coil; You need to back probe the other wire with it running. It should be dim and blinking. Compare to another they should be similar. If the PCM is not grounding the coil, or wire is bad to pcm. Also you can switch 2 coils to see if the miss fire moves.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I changed the bad injector and the misfire is gone, but now the vehicle is stalling at 198 degrees, wont start until the car cools down. Any ideas?
Without reading a scanner that will be tough to say. There is a temp. sensor that adjusts fuel as per temperature that may be failing; I have also seen many Chrysler products act weird with after market o2 sensors. If the ones installed are after market, try your old ones to see if that helps. ( up stream only; down stream o2s don't effect running; they only monitor the cat.)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The scanner has no codes on it. And the O2 sensors that were in it before were after market also, when the vehicle stalls it loses communication with the scanner.
A crank sensor will shut down computer when it shorts out, causing no communication. I would replace it next. ( it can also be effected by heat)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I believe that was changed, but I will check, Can the computer cause this itself?
Yes it can also be the PCM, but let's eliminate the weak links first.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What about the CAM sensor? ( am trying to eliminate the cheapest ones first )
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
also, currently, there are no codes on the vehicle.
The crank sensor is the one that usually shuts down the computer, and will not set a code, because it is shutting down the PCM. It also could be a cam sensor, but I see twice more crank senors bad on this motor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Changed the PCM, CAM sensor, Crank Shaft sensor, car is still stalling.....and sometimes wont start.....any ideas?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
also changed the coolant temperature sensor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Also, with the PCMs do they need to flashed? Can you take one out of a running dodge with same model number on the computer and put it into another durango?

If your durango accepted the PCM with no check engine light, then you are good.

For stalling you should clean out throttle body with induction cleaner spray, or similar. Spray in throttle body with engine running. At some point stall the engine with the spray,Take an old tooth brush, and scrub in the throttle opening, the throttle plate, and inside the throttle body with the plate open..Restart and spray cleaner into IAC hole, ( square hole in throttle body that will change sound when you spray into it) .Keep spraying in and around this hole. It will hopefully help the stalling. When done ( spray a whole can), take it out and blow out the carbon. See if that helps.