Neal
Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth
17294534

2001 dodge caravan: start unless..push..unlock button..repair shop

I have 2001 dodge caravan and it will not start unless you push the unlock button on the remote control. What is causing this? We took to a repair shop and they could not find the problem.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

So if you unlock with the key it will not start until you push unlock on the remote?

This question will remain open and I will continue to work with you even after you accept. The question will remain active for 7 days after our last communication.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If you did not lock the van and jumped in it and tired to start the van it would not turn over until the door
unlock button is pushed on the remote control
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
Ok, that is a problem with the anti-theft system. You are going to have to get it to a dealer for them to determine what component is acting up. Your typical shop cannot get into that system to find the problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there any way to by pass the system
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
No, at least not any reasonable way. It is designed to be tamper resistant.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If I change the vans computer with a used one do you think the problem would go way
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
The problem could be in the BCM not the PCM, It would be worth a try if you want to avoid the dealer.
Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience: 30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what is the BCM and what does it do, this is my grandsons van and he doesn't have a lot of money to fix it.
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
The BCM is the Body Control Module and controls things like the lights, locks and anti-theft among others.
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
I see you left negative feedback, I will opt out and see if someone else can provide you another answer.
Expert:  Walt-Mod replied 5 years ago.

I'm a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you're still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No I am not wait for an anwer