-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Dodge ram1500 pick up: i have 2002 dodge ram 1500 4.7 misfire

i have 2002 dodge ram 1500 4.7
misfire cylinder 6
i have put a new pcm board in and ran good for about 1 week now its happening again grounds are good and i have swapped the coil pack fuel injector and plug to a different cylinder and it keeps happening on 6 WTF any ideas ?

Brad :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you

Brad :

Have you tested compression?

Customer:

its had been tested and returned no bad compression

Brad :

Ok, do you know what reading was?

Brad :

And is it misfiring now?

Customer:

negative it was a while ago i have been having this issue for about 4 years , what had originally happened was a blew the head gasket because of the t-stat i had the head gasket fixed and ever since then i have had this issue many ASE certifed mechanics said it was the PCM i finally bought one and now its still happening im at a loss

Customer:

i ran to the store and the light came on so i ran to Advanced Auto and ran a check

Brad :

And the only code was P-0306?

Customer:

I don't have a compression tester though and am not exactly sure how to do that .

Customer:

misfire cylinder 6 i didnt get the code

Customer:

but yeah that was it

Customer:

when this was all happening they put a nod on the wires that attach to the coil pack and we watched the light fire fire fire and then stop then fire fire fire etc u get the idea im sure so thats what led them to believe it was the PCM ive gone to 3 different guys on this

Brad :

Ok, well I understand that you have had this issue for a while and you want to get it fixed, well im here to help you.. I have been working on these since 1998.. When you get a single cyl that is misfiring, first thing you do is check the plug, then coil, injector.. It sounds like you have done a great job by allready doing that.. But you are stumped now... Well we need to go deeper and see why it continues to misfire.... I really need to get a accurate reading on the compression of that cyl.... Advance will let you borrow a compression tester.... Here is how.. Remove coil on Cyl#6 remove Plug, install tester in cyl.. remove ASD relay or unplug all coils... Start engine for 5 sec.. See what reading is..

Brad :

Ok, well if that is the case then we maybe dealing with a electrical issue... Let me get a proper wiring diagram

Brad :

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT]81afb71d[/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Brad :

Wiring didnt post, just a sec

Customer:

k i can and will try that again tomorrow after work if you think i should

Customer:

k

Brad :

Well Ii like to cover all the bases in a case like yours, but you maybe on to the issue if what you say is correct with the Noid Light... HERE is the wiring

Brad :

The Dark Green/Orange wire is ASD 12v output shared by all injectors.. Test it but I think your issue is #6 Coil driver circuit from PCM..... Id like for you to Ohm that wire to PCM to make sure its good.. A .001 is a perfect wire.. A .015 is a wire with 15 thousandths Ohms of resistance.. It should be .001 reading..

Customer:

what does ASD stand for ?

Customer:

and if the wire is bad ? and what else could it if thats good ?

Brad :

Well if both wires are good its PCM.... Are you getting used PCM's?

Customer:

no rebuilt with a warrenty

Customer:

this was all happening on the original PCM till i replaced it last week now its on the new one so compression and Ohm the wire

Customer:

will do this blows cause i reall y thought i solved it

Brad :

I have searched Dodge for any known issue like yours and there is none.... When did you swap coils? If this was happening on your Original PCM and now its happening on your new PCM... It sounds like something is taking the PCM's out.. Things that will cause this is High resistance on wires to and from PCM, and shorted wires somewhere... If the coil was going bad and had high resistance in it, then it took more voltage to make it work and fried the board in PCM....

Customer:

its was a while ago and i didn't actually do it was the mechanic .

Customer:

wow shit k

Brad :

I think you will need another PCM reguardless...But 1st we nned to resolve the issue that is causing the problem that way it doesnt fry another PCM... Maybe they will warranty it

Brad :

Im sorry that you are having these issues but im here to assist you

Customer:

yeah they will its a year warranty so . Thanks man . Yeah me to . ill do as you suggested and see if i can find a bad wire.and go from there if i do find a bad wire than what ?

Customer:

replace that wire i guess ?

Brad :

Well either find the part that is bad and cut solder repair it, or replace that wire.... But test both, the green is 12v when engine is running, and other is a pulsed ground from PCM for coil driver..

Customer:

do u think i should let a mechanic handle it ? and haw do i get back in touch with you ?

Customer:

how

Customer:

where u located ill bring it you dam

Brad :

Well you can either just reply back to this chat, or follow-up with me at no charge... Either way im here to help you get it fixed til the end...

Customer:

ok cool TY Brad

Brad :

You are welcome... And dont worry, it will get fixed...