Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2007 Charger SXT: The ETC Electronic Throttle Control light is on

2007 Charger SXT 3.5...
2007 Charger SXT 3.5 The ETC Electronic Throttle Control light is on and the windows seem under powered going up and down. The motor is hesitant. These issues occurred at the same time. Do I have a ground issue?
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/17/2012
TIM
TIM, SERVICE MANAGER

TIM :

hello, the two are not related-- it is really cold where you are?

Customer:

Yes. I thought they maybe becuase they both came on at the same time.

Customer:

Yes. They both came on at the same time so I thought they were. The snapon scanner does not give me any answers.

TIM :

ok -- there is a bulletin for the throttle body cold weather issue-- and windows just need silcone sprayed into the glass runs -- cold weather will cause them to move real slow

TIM :

you will need to clean the throttle body airintake with a combustion cleaner and reset the computer by negative battery terminal disconnect

TIM :

this should solve these concern,tim

TIM :

any more info required--please let me know - If all set-please click the accept button, thanks,tim

Customer:

If I pay you and this does not work can I get more help without paying again??

TIM :

yes-- just post back to this question,TIm

Customer:

How do I do that?

TIM :

I will change this to question and answer - then you can post back as often as you would like-- also you will get an e-mail from me if i POST TO THIS QUESTION

TIM
TIM, SERVICE MANAGER
thanks-- just post back here for any follow-up Tim
I hope it is warm where you are at. Thanks again for the help.

not so lucky- It was -20 yesterday -- now freezing ran -- but it is good for my bodyshop

Tim,

I sprayed the butter fly in the intake (while moving it open and closed) with carburetor cleaner and unhooked the negative cable and the ETC light came back on. I took the intake off and hosed it with carburetor cleaner several times and unhooked the negative cable and it still came back on. I put a SnapOn scanner on it and was able to clear the codes but it froze up when I tried to run diagnostics (after the ETC light came back on). The same as it had done the last time I tried it. Any suggestions???

Doug
then unfortunately we are going to have to replace the ETC
What do I need to do to get this done?

part from dealer -- it is only held on by 4 bolts-- not a big deal to change

Thank you.
please let me know how you make out,Tim
I will. Take care.
thanks
Tim,

What is the technical name of the part I need?

Thanks,

Doug
THROTTLE BODY
04861691AA
You da man! Thanks.
keep me posted!
I will. Dodge is pretty proud of that part. $230???
keep me posted== everything is too much $$
I agree. I will. Have a good weekend.
thanks-- good luck and keep me posted
Tim,

I put the new throttle body on and now my ESP and ETC lights are coming. The check engine light came on as well. It is put back together and hooked up correctly. I tried the SnapOn scanner again and it locked up. Is my computer shot? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Doug

possible -- I would want to try another scanner before we condemn computer

Ok. Why would the ETC light come back on?
at this point most likely due to the PCM-- but I would at least like to be able to retrieve data out of the PCM before we spend any more money on parts
I agree. I will have to see if I can get my hands on another scanner. Will advise.
thanks
PCM P2173 Hi air flow vac leak TCM P2638 Atorque management ABS C121C steering angle sensor These are the codes another scanner pulled up. The SnapOn scanner indicted the air flow leak
The ETC light is still on as well.
let me recheck the info and diagnostics again -- i will post back in am\
Thanks

We need to double check the throttle body install for a vaccum leak -- at this point disregard the steering angle sensor fault code -- that is illrelevant at this point -- also have you cleared codes and retatred engine -- if so do the codes come back -- and we are sure -- we are not leaking vacuum at the thr intake?

I will check.
- great-- this car is bugging me! I am missing something -- it is usually something simple
I here ya. I do not like to get my ass kicked by a piece of sheet metal.
I knew we were on the same page!
Tim,

I got a chance to get back into that Charger this weekend. I checked again for vacuum leaks and there are zero. I physically checked every line, intake, and throttle body and sprayed starter fluid around the lines, intake and throttle body and nothing. The warning lights are not on all the time but come on and off. ETC, check engine and ESP. What are your thoughts.

Doug
when ck engine light comes on - what are we getting for fault codes?
It come on very infrequently and I have not had any codes other than the ones I sent you earlier. It is mainly the ETC and ESP lights that are on. I only remember having the check engine light come on twice since this started.

have it scanned again -- if throwing those lights -- it should have set a fault code

When I went through it this week end I unhooked the negative cable??? I do not believe it has came back on. I will have to ask my wife it is her car. She does not normally let me drive it, only when it needs service.
ok-- let me know--thanks
Tim,

I went back over the intake and found the seal for the steel vacuum line coming into the top of the intake was missing. I am all set. Thanks for the help.

Doug
Good news. Take care
TIM
TIM
TIM, SERVICE MANAGER