Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2004 dodge ram 1500: 4x4..oil pressure dropped..accelerating..brakes

Customer Question
I have a 2004 dodge...
I have a 2004 dodge ram 1500 5.7 4x4. On the way to work this morning the oil pressure dropped to 0 when I pushed the breaks then shot up to normal when accelerating and stayed normal until brakes were applied. I checked the oil it was a quart low, put oil in it. Now it won't crank, turns over but not starting.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dodge
1/3/2012
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 6 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Hello!

Does the check engine light come on with the key on?

Does the engine have spark when cranking it over?
No. It started for a few seconds then shut down I'm not able to check for fire until I get home.
Ok.. if the engine has spark, check to see if it runs on starting fluid.

Also, be sure there are no anti theft or security lights on or flashing on the dash.

Let me know what your find!
Did not crank with starting fluid. The only light that comes on is a little lighting bolt in the bottom right. I have no anti theft remote.
I dont have any way to check it. I'm by my self. If it doesn't crank with starting fluid there's no fire?
The first thing to do is to be sure the computer is awake. Turn the key on and check reference voltage to the tps, cam and crank sensors. If there is full reference voltage, check to be sure the ASD relay is engaging when trying to start the engine and that there is power to the injectors and coil/coils when cranking. IF there is no power to the injectors or coil when cranking and the ASD relay is not engaging, then we might have a bad cam or crank sensor (or a valve timing issue).

If there is no reference voltage to these sensors with the key on, then the computer might not be waking up. We will need to check all powers and grounds going into the computer with the key on. This includes, all powers through the computer fuses, fusible links and even the ignition switch.

Hint: Sometimes the cam and crank sensors can short out and pull the computer down temporarily. If all powers and grounds check out and we still do not have any reference voltage to the cam, crank or the tps, then disconnect them one by one with the key on to see if the reference voltage comes back. If so, then one of the sensors is bad and will need to be replaced.
Ok will check into that. I noticed I spilled a little oil on the front driver side coil pack it ran down in it could that be my problem?
Usually that does not cause a no start condition.

I hope this helps! Please don't forget hit the green accept button so that I may get credit for the time that I have spent with you. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

I do hope you are as honest with me about your vehicle as I have been with you. If you have any further questions or if you need more assistance, just hit the reply button and we can continue our conversation. Please remember, even if you accept my answer now, you can still repost or respond back to this thread at any time you wish at no further cost and I will be more than happy to continue to work with you until you are happy.

In addition, please allow time between answers as I may be off line spending time with my family or assisting other customers. You can always request me by using the link through my profile page. Just Click on "AMEDEE" next to my picture and I will be sure to respond back in a timely manner.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

AMEDEE
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician