Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Dodge RAM 1500: How to reset anti theft on 2004 dodge ram?

How to reset anti theft on 2004 dodge ram? Key won't turn ignition

want to make sure I understand correctly- when you put the key in the ignition, it will not turn the ignition to ACC, On, or Run - correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Correct...driver door is broke amd I juggled key in door now key won't turn ignition.

ok, this is likely nothing to do with the anti-theft, but do this to reset the security system. pop your hood and there is a fuse/relay box by the battery.

look at the label in it for fuse numbers. Fuse #51 is the IOD (ignition off draw) fuse. pull it for 2 minutes and then re-insert and try to turn key in ignition.

If it works, then the security system is at fault.

If key wont turn, then this is an ignition lock cylinder problem

here, I have highlighted which fuse to pull:

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Don't see 51 lots of 15's

#51 is the fuse number location, not the fuse amperage.

here is #51 fuse location. it should be 20 amperage

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can't reinsert fuse

directions state "To install the IOD fuse, use a thumb to press the IOD fuse holder unit in fuse cavity # XXXXX firmly into the Integrated Power Module."

you have to really press down on it to get it back into the fuse box as it is a tight fit. i use my thumb and lean into it to press it firmly down
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Got it ignition still won't turn

Ok, then the anti-theft system itself is ok. The problem is in the ignition lock cylinder. You can use powder graphite on the key, insert key into the ignition, then as you try to turn it, tap on the lock cylinder housing lightly with a hammer.

if key still wont turn, then you will need a new lock cylinder
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you that worked
glad to hear it.