Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Is the dash wiring for all 1998 dodge rams the same

Customer Question
is the dash wiring for all 1998 dodge rams the same
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/16/2011
Dodge Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 6 years ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello and welcome to just answer. Let me see if I can help you with this. Let me look at my parts list and check this for you. I will be right back.

Chris

I swapped a 97 body onto a 98 chassis but also swapped all the wiring from the 98 I am having some issues with the door inputs and outputs so I have a 98 dash harness for a 24v cummins instead of a 12v which mine is to swap and want to know if this will work

Ok, here are the wiring part numbers for the 1998 trucks. It appears as though there are about 4 different harnesses and it depends on whether or not the truck has Infinity sound system, power seats, etc. The harness should have a white tag on it somewhere. Compare the tags if you can. From what I see, it does not seem to matter if it is a 12V or 24V when it comes to the instrument panel wiring so it should work.

Chris

1998 Trucks

w/o Power Package (Base Model) 56020479AB
w/o Power Package (Base Model) 56020479AC
w/o Power Package (Base Model) 56020479AD
w/o Power Package (Base Model) 56020481AD
w/Infinity Sound System & w/o Keyless Entry 56020481AB
w/Infinity Sound System & w/o Keyless Entry 56020481AC
w/Infinity Sound System & w/o Keyless Entry 56020481AD
w/o Infinity Sound System, Power Seats & w/Keyless Entry 56020483AB
w/o Infinity Sound System, Power Seats & w/Keyless Entry 56020483AC
w/o Infinity Sound System, Power Seats & w/Keyless Entry 56020483AD
w/o Infinity Sound System, Power Seats & w/Keyless Entry 56020485AD
w/Infinity Sound System, Keyless Entry & Power Seats 56020485AB

ok so if this is the case do I also need the wiring harness that goes across the firewall to match

You should use the same engine wiring harness that was in the 1998 truck and install that in the 1997 truck.

Chris

I did use the same engine harness. My question is there are three separate harnesses inside the cab the one in the dash, the one that runs along the firewall to the doors and the one that runs to the cab lighting, seats and rear speakers along the drivers side floor channel. Do they all have to match and what are the numbers for them?

Yes they should match. Let me see if I can find those numbers for you.

Chris

Thank you

Ok, here are the part numbers for the headlamp to dash harness.

WIRING,Headlamp to Dash
56020499AB
56020499AD
56020499AE
Canada 56020500AB
Canada 56020500AE
Canada 56020500AF
w/RWAL & Overhead Console Type II
w/RWAL & Overhead Console Type II
w/RWAL & Overhead Console Type II
w/ABS or RWAL (Canada) 56020519AB
w/ABS or RWAL (Canada) 56020519AD
w/ABS or RWAL (Canada) 56020519AE
W/RWAL 56020520AB
W/RWAL 56020520AD
W/RWAL 56020523AD
w/ABS 56020521AB
w/ABS 56020521AD
w/RWAL & Trailer Tow 56020523AB
w/RWAL & Trailer Tow 56020523AD
56045100AB
56045100AC
56045100AF

And these are the body harness numbers.

WIRING,Body
w/o Power Package & w/o Infinity Sound System 56020689AB
w/o Power Package & w/o Infinity Sound System 56020689AC
w/o Power Package & w/o Infinity Sound System 56021476AC
w/o Power Package & w/o Infinity Sound System 56021476AB
w/o Infinity Sound System & w/Keyless Entry Type I 56020690AB
w/o Infinity Sound System & w/Keyless Entry Type I 56020690AC
w/Infinity Sound System & Keyless Entry Type I 56020691AB
w/Infinity Sound System & Keyless Entry Type I 56020691AC
w/o Power Package & w/o Infinity Sound System 56020693AB
w/o Power Package & w/o Infinity Sound System 56020693AC
w/o Power Package & w/o Infinity Sound System 56021478AC
w/o Infinity Sound System & w/Keyless Entry Type I 56020694AB
w/o Infinity Sound System & w/Keyless Entry Type I 56020694AC
w/Infinity Sound System & Keyless Entry Type I 56020695AB
w/Infinity Sound System & Keyless Entry Type I 56020695AC
w/Power Seats, Locks, Windows & w/o Infinity Sound System, Keyless Entry Type I 56021476AB
w/Infinity Sound System & w/o Keyless Entry Type I 56021477AB
w/Power Seats, Locks, Windows & w/o Infinity Sound System, Keyless Entry Type I 56021478AB
w/Power Seats, Locks, Windows & w/o Infinity Sound System, Keyless Entry Type I 56021478AC
w/Infinity Sound System & w/o Keyless Entry Type I

Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Excellent you have been a great help I just have one more question. can I use a complete 99 interior harness with my 98 engine harness? are the dash harnesses specific between gas or diesel engines?

I would be using the complete 99 interior including the dash

Ok, that would be the best way to go. This should work good. Thanks for the accept!

Chris

so there is no difference in dash harnesses from gas to diesel

Correct, but there is a big difference in the engine compartment/fire wall harness.

Chris

So I can plug my 98 engine harness into my 99 sport cab harness and it should work

Yes it should.

Chris

Thank you we shall give that a try.

Ok, you are welcome, and let me know if you need further help with this.

Chris

Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman