Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Dodge RAM 1500 4x4 how to replace manual transfer case in

Customer Question
how to replace manual transfer...
how to replace manual transfer case in 2003 ,1500
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dodge
9/26/2011
Dodge Mechanic: Tom, ASE Master Certified replied 6 years ago
Tom
Tom, ASE Master Certified

Tom :

Hi, and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Tom and I will help the best I can. I may need to ask questions to better understand your concern.

Tom :

Are you going to wrk on the truck on the ground or do you have access to a hoist.

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

work on it on the ground

Tom :

Ok, you will need a floor jack and a few pieces of scrap wood for the transmission so you can hold it in place without denting the pan. I will post the service manual procedure and then help with any other questions about it.

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

alright

Tom :

REMOVAL

1. Raise and support vehicle.
  2. Remove skid plate, if equipped. Position drain oil container under transfer case.
  3. Remove transfer case drain plug and drain lubricant into container.
  4. Disconnect vent hose and transfer case position sensor connector.
  5. Disconnect shift rod from grommet in transfer case shift lever, or from floor shift arm whichever provides easy access. Use channel lock style pliers to press rod out of lever grommet.
  6. Support transmission with jack stand.
  7. Mark front and rear propeller shafts for assembly reference.
  8. Remove front and rear propeller shafts. (Refer to 3 - DIFFERENTIAL & DRIVELINE/PROPELLER SHAFT/PROPELLER SHAFT - REMOVAL)
  9. Support transfer case with suitable jack. Secure transfer case to jack with safety chains.
  10. Remove nuts attaching transfer case to transmission.
  11. Move transfer case assembly rearward until free of transmission output shaft.
  12. Lower jack and move transfer case from under vehicle.
Tom :

Front driveshaft

REMOVAL

1. Position transmission and transfer case into neutral.
  2. Raise and support vehicle.
  3. Remove exhaust crossover pipe.
  4. Mark a line across the axle companion flange, propeller shaft flange yoke and transfer case.
  5. Remove axle/transfer case companion flange bolts. Remove dust boot clamp from the C/V jonit end of the shaft if equipped.
  6. Remove propeller shaft.
Tom :

REMOVAL

1. With vehicle in neutral, position vehicle on hoist.
  2. Mark pinion companion flange and propeller shaft flange yoke for installation reference.
  3. Mark the outline of the center bearing on the crossmember for installation reference, if equipped.
  4. Remove center bearing mounting nuts, if equipped.
  5. Remove pinion yoke companion flange bolts.
  6. Slide slip yoke off of the transmission or transfer case output shaft and remove propeller shaft.
Tom :

Last one was for the rear driveshaft

Tom :

#3 is drain plug

Tom :

It would be best to have a friend help with actually removing the T-case from the back of the trans when all of the bolts are out. It can be very heavy and awkward for one person on the ground.

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

alright maybe you can answer another question do u think the transmission ways harmed when the transfer case cracked

Tom :

You might have to check that out closely when you have the transfer case out, but I honestly don't think that it would hurt both components.

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

dont they share oil though

Tom :

no they are seperated

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

how bout when the transfer case cracked i could still drive it..but once up to 45 or 50 there was a large grinding noss would that be caused from transfer case

Tom :

It could be because the transfer case is always spinning the drain chain anytime the vehicle is in motion.

What cracked the case (outside) or something internal in the transfer case.

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

the case is cracked so imagen something inside blew abourt to cause the crack just hopen it didnt effect the trany

Tom :

Ok, the transmission should be fine because it is seperate from the transfer case. Check the second pic that I posted to see what I mean.

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

alright...and am looking at putting a rebuidl transfer case in...so do i just need to make sure its in neutral when putting it in so everything lines up

Tom :

It won't matter if it is in neutral, just hook up the linkage from the old one. You might have to move the lever to line it up.

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

alright but suppose the key put would be back sure the truck and transfer case r in neutral befor removing it

Tom :

yes,

Tom :

You might have to jack up each axle too be able to rotate the driveshaft and get to all of the u-join bolts.

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

so just jack up the hole truck and block it from the get go

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

any bolts or connectioms need to worry about ..or a pain to work with.oor specail too;s needed

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

or specail tool needed

Tom :

sorry for the slow replys some how other experts keep jumping in and locking this thread and I don't know how

Tom :

it would probably be easier to jack it up from the start yes

Tom :

Might need E-torx sockets for the u-joint bolts. There is a clam on the rubber boot of therear driveshaft they may need to be replaced.

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

alright..probably need new gasket between trainy and tranfer case to right

Tom :

yes

Tom :

Actually they are seals, one on trans and one on the t-case

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

alright i remember seeing in the ins..u sent something about marking out driveshaft and and wanting to say rear axle befor tearing apart..didnt relly follow all that

Tom :

use a paint pen or scratch a line on the drive shaft yoke so that they are put back in the same position. If they go back together at a differnet position they could make a vibration.

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

so need to mark it on the rear axle and on the t-case or just axle

Tom :

both ends on both shafts

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

will if i putting in a rebuild how am i post to know where the drive shaft hooks up

Tom :

good point, sorry just the u-joints that connect to the axles then

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

so the knuckel that the connecets to the t-case

Tom :

no just the u-joints/cv joints at the front and rear axle

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

alright kinda follow got a pic

Tom :

click on the last one I posted

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

thats to the rear axle right?..four bolt to remove it

Tom :

yes

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

so on The t-case can just mark the u joints marking the t-case ant going to do me no good

Tom :

no sorry for the confusion, not since you are replacing it. The axle is the most important to be marked anyway

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

so mark the back axle...and where it lines up is where it lines up on the new t-case?

Tom :

yes

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

alright is that going to cause a vibration or just got to go with it

Tom :

no it won't the rear u-joint is the critical one, don't worry about the transfer case side

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

what about the t-Case trainy connection anything to worry about there

Tom :

no, the output shaft of the trans slines into the transfer case

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

and should line up as long as the t-case and trans r both in neutral

Tom :

yes

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

so as u been saying just make sure the back axle is marked and get new seals and hook the drive shaft up and we should be going down the road

Tom :

yes, and don't forget fluid. ATF+4 for the transfer case

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

can i pick that up at napa,auto zone,avdaced

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

hoe many quarts

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

just to check the store not u

Tom :

yes should only need 2 quarts

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

can i get ur #if i have any more questions

Tom :

just post back to this same thread and I can help

Tom :

we're not supposed to contact outside of the website

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

whos going to know

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

ill be in bfe while working on this project

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

lasr qa going to need new fluid for back axle cuz disconnection right?

Tom :

everyone since it is now posted on the internet

Tom :

I have to step out for the night, feel free to post back with any other questions.

no you won't need axle fluid because youaren't opening it up

JACUSTOMER-imvl5tj9- :

alright u been helpful

How is the transfer case project?
Tom
Tom
Tom, ASE Master Certified