Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Dodge Ram 1500: engage..mile..shifting..the four wheel drive shifter

I have a 2005 hemi...
I have a 2005 hemi dodge Ram 1500 four wheel drive. Just driving down the road in two wheel drive, I began hearing the four wheel drive, sounded like it was trying to engage. I dove it home (about 1 mile), stopped and tried shifting the four wheel drive shifter on the floor. It was free floating, just flopping like it was not conected. What could be the problem? Is it something I can fix?
9/18/2011
Dodge expert
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. If you have a Manual shifter on your transfer case and your four wheel drive slide underneath and see if the shift linkage is still attach properly to the transfer case if it is have someone shift lever while you watch the linkage going into the transfer case you may have an internal problem something may have broken in the transfer case if the linkage is moving me at the transfer case then drain the fluid and tell me if you find any medal debris or broken parts in the fluid
Dodge expert
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician
Dodge expert
Dodge expert
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician