Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2003 Dodge Neon SXT P0340 P0562 & P0700 codes.

Customer Question
2003 Neon SXT 2.0 liter...
2003 Neon SXT 2.0 liter automatic giving P0340, P0562 and P0700. Starts & runs fine with no starting or performance symptoms. Codes return 3 - 4 starts after battery disconnect reset. Checked firewall harness connectors, etc. All look fine. (This began 3 weeks ago after I started the engine with the air filter housing removed to diagnose a trans fluid leak that was at the upper cooler connection. I ran the engine with the housing, vacuum hoses, etc. disconnected to watch for leaks after replacing hose & clamps. Also was getting vacuum, airflow and MAP sensor codes, which cleared after putting everything back together and resetting codes via battery disconnect.) I have to get codes cleared to pass vehicle inspection. Solenoid pack was replaced by dealer at 53700 mi in June 09, then trans was rebuilt 2 months later at 54700 by dealer under 7/70 warranty. Car now has 57900 miles. Dealer was closed by Chrysler Corp right after doing rebuild. Please advise. I suspect grounding or harness problem.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dodge
9/11/2011
Dodge Mechanic: Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician replied 6 years ago
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Welcome to Just Answer Dodge my name isXXXXX realize that all my answers are based solely on the info you provide me......

Your P0562 code indicates you have a low battery voltage condition. So, the first step is to fix this code since it may be causing the other ones to set. So, check the battery connections and make sure they are clean and tight. Have the battery load tested to see if it still healthy or not and also have the charging system tested to make sure it is functioning the way it was designed to.
Thank You. I hope I'm replying correctly here. I verified battery, fuse & relay center, and chassis and block ground point connections as clean. Battery passes informal load test by delivering vigorous repeated starts without a drop in voltage. Non-maintenance-free battery, cell electrolyte levels good and uniform. Haven't checked specific gravity, but don't suspect bad cell, as battery is performing well. Why P0562 then?
That code will set when the battery voltage drops below 11.5 volts for 10 seconds. The battery lamp will illuminate. The Battery Lamp will turn off if the battery voltage recovers to 12.04 volts or greater.

If everything is good as you state, then I would check the pins on the PCM connector for any signs of corrosion and if that is ok, then you may have a bad PCM................although that would be the last thing I would suspect.

Battery lamp only illuminates during initial lamp test when ignition is turned on, before cranking. It doesn't come on to accompany the P0562 code. Once engine is started, battery voltage immediately goes to ~14.15vdc +/- 0.1vdc, depending on accessories active. If I disconnect battery to reset codes, all is fine, with no codes (checked with Innova 3100 code checker) until 3rd or 4th start after 1-2 days pass. I'll check all connectors and open an Alldata account to troubleshoot harness in depth if needed.

Is code being set by disconnecting battery to clear codes? My code checker can't reset codes, so I have to resort to battery disconnect method.

I hope it's not the PCM. Years ago I had a Mitz Mirage that died due to leaking caps on the PCM. IT wasn't worth the replacement cost to keep the old car.

No, disconnecting the battery does not set this particular code.
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician