Neal
Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth
17294534

2000 Dodge Dakota: a 3.9 liter..V6..Automatic transmission..V8

I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab with a 3.9 liter V6 with a 42RE Automatic transmission. I want to put in a 4.7 Liter V8. Can I use the same transmission? Also, if I want the 4.7, do I have to get new wiring harness and vehicle computer, etc..?

Thanks

Reed Macmillan

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

You would need to replace the transmission also, along with all the electronics for the engine and transmission. Due to the amount of work and cost, if your current engine is good you would be better off to sell yours and buy another with the engine you want.

That's just my opinion, that would be a lot of work and you would need basically a complete truck to get everything you need.