sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Replaced the output sensor and the speedometer still doesnt work.

Customer Question

Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the speedometer doesn't work with a new sensor then you either have a wiring problem to the sensor, a connection problem at the sensor, or an internal TCM problem. The TCM is internal in the powertrain control module (PCM). Your first step is to see if the TCM is awake and what fault codes are stored like I had explained. This will tell you where to go with diagnosis. If there is a speed sensor code then you either have a bad sensor or a wiring problem. If the TCM isn't awake then it's powers and grounds will need to be checked, and if all is ok the PCM will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Another code that I was givin was something about 1st gear ratio. Unfortunatly I was not home when my friend checked my codes. Since it is in limp mode I cannot get it to the part store.
If there is a gear ratio code set then the TCM is awake, and that also tells us there is likely a problem with the speed sensor or it's wiring. Gear ratio codes set when the input and output speed sensor signals don't agree with each other.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Should I replace the input speed sensor
The input speed sensor has no affect on the speedometer. If the speedometer doesn't work and you have a gear ratio code has set that tells us there is a problem with the output speed sensor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

So then its probably a wiring problem

If the sensor is good it is going to be a connection, wiring, or internal TCM problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What does it mean when I turn the car on off on off an then leave it on...the code it shows on the odometer is "done"
That means there are (apparently) no codes stored in the PCM, but it's possible that there could be.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sometimes the gas gauge doesnt work either. Could that be linked to all of this?
No, that would be a separate issue.