Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Pre-owned..the gascap warning appeared on the dashboard..tank

Hi- I purchased a pre-owned 2007...
Hi-
I purchased a pre-owned 2007 Nitro in March. Yesterday the "gascap" warning appeared on the dashboard. Today I filled the tank, and the "gascap" warning is still lit, and now the engine symbol is lit up.
I have checked and tightened the gas cap.
Any suggestions? And can you give me an idea of the possible cost to fix this?
Thank you
7/19/2011
Matt Hardy
Matt Hardy, ASE Certified Technician

Matt Hardy :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer, my name is Matt.

Matt Hardy :

The most likely cause for this is a faulty ESIM, which is the a valve/sensor on the canister underneath by the fuel tank.

Matt Hardy :

The ESIM is only about 20.00. Replace the gas cap also, to cover all the bases.

Customer:

Hi- OK...I have an appointment with a Dodge dealer tomorrow morning...Hopefully this will be the case!

Customer:

Thank you for your help

Matt Hardy :

It probably will be. I have replaced dozens of ESIMs on these for this exact problem.

Matt Hardy :

Keep in mind the part might only be 20, but there will be a labor charge also.

Customer:

Right...

Matt Hardy :

Thanks for using Just Answer. Reply back if you have any other questions.

Customer:

Sure will, thanks again

Matt Hardy
Matt Hardy, ASE Certified Technician
Matt Hardy
Matt Hardy
Matt Hardy, ASE Certified Technician