brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

Dodge RAM 1500 4x4 TRX4 I am replacing the front struts on

Customer Question

I am replacing the front struts on a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 TRX4 4 x 4 and have a questions; how do I get the old strut assmebly off of the truck? Do I need to take the entire lower arm off?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question. You will need to remove the caliper and caliper bracket, rotor, disconnect the wheel speed sensor from the knuckle, remove the lower stabilizer nut from the link on the lower control arm, remove the axle hub nut, and separate the upper ball joint from the spindle. This will allow the spindle to drop down and removal of the shock. You will want to support the lower control arm also when doing this
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
On the TRX4 there is a spring around the strut, will that come loose from strut once I remove it? Also, is there some place I could find a nice big picture/diagram of this assembly?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.
I do not have a diagram that I can send and yes the spring can be removed after the shock is removed. You will need a compressor to do this.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Got any tips on how to remove the spring? I do have a compressor.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.
Just need to compress the spring to the point where the tension is off the top plate then remove the top plate.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
will i need to do the same to installthe spring on the new strut?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.
Yes correct it will have to go on compressed. Otherwise it will be too long to install the top plate