Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Dodge Diagnostics
18617752

Dodge Durango Cost to replace ac compressor on a 2004 dodge

Customer Question

Cost to replace ac compressor on a 2004 dodge durango
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

Can you give me engine size?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
4.7
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

Thanks.

Ok. The Compressor sells for $269 (without rear a/c) and around $312 (with rear a/c). The labor time guide calls for just over a hlaf-hour to complete the replacement. BUT! Here's the catch- most aftermarket compressor companies will NOT warranty the new compressor unless you replace the Receiver/Drier at the same time. This sells for around $115 and adds another 20 minutes of labor. Then you will need to pay for the charging of the system. This will vary from State to State based on current R134 refrigerant prices (figure $125-$175). Labor rates also vary from shop to shop, so what you pay for labor will effect the botXXXXX XXXXXne.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

graphic

graphic

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

Here's the explanation of "why" most companies want the Reciever/Dryer replaced to cover a warranty:

The receiver/drier performs a filtering action to prevent foreign material in the refrigerant from contaminating the A/C expansion valve. Refrigerant enters the receiver/drier as a high-pressure, low temperature liquid. Desiccant inside the receiver/drier absorbs any moisture which may have entered and become trapped within the refrigerant system. In addition, during periods of high demand operation of the A/C system, the receiver/drier acts as a reservoir to store surplus refrigerant.

The receiver/drier cannot be repaired. If the receiver/drier is faulty or damaged, or if the refrigerant system has been contaminated or left open to the atmosphere for an indeterminable period or if the A/C compressor has failed, it must be replaced.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thankyou
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

You're welcome. Glad I could help. Have a great day!