Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Dodge Grand Caravan ES My 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Radiator

My 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan...
My 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Radiator cooling fans not coming on. Infact the AC clutch pack failed, i replace the compressor but while charging system realized the cooling fans are not coming on. Most cars i've worked on you turn on ac and the ac cooling fan would come on. Not sure about this vehicle.

So far, i felt is was cheap enough to replace the Fan relay mounted in front of the vehicle, and I also replaced the coolant sensor behined the coil pack. All to no success, coolant fan fans are not coming on. The strange thing is the guage in the car shows just under half between hot and cold. But when I put my hand held temp sensor by the thermostat it reads 200 and rising. Thermostat is opening the upper hose is nice and hot.

I let it get to about 210, 211 and then shut it down. The only thing left I think is the PCM. I hope I am WRONG.

You help is greatly appreciated. John shadetree
5/14/2011
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Have you checked fuses?

Do you have a test light or voltmeter to do some electrical testing?

I have both. Electrical diagnosis is not truly my forte, but never to late to learn

It's nothing we can't get through together!

Before we start, have you checked fuses in the box under the hood to make sure you don't have a blown one?

I did initialy. I just looked again, they see thru fuses look good. is there one in particular i should check that i might not be realizing?

If you've gone over the fuses a couple times already then you should be fine there.

Let's start by unplugging the fan connector. Connect the alligator clip of your test light to battery positive, then probe the black/dark green wires at the fans to see if the test light lights up.

will do now

Great!

Yes it lights up.

Great.

You did get enough refrigerant in it to get the compressor to run didn't you?

Now move the test light alligator clip over to battery negative, start the van and turn the a/c on (if your compressor isn't able to run yet then let me know and we'll change how we do this). Probe the dark blue/dark green wires at the fans and see if the test light comes on after a minute or so.

Yes, the compressor cycles on and off and ac is nice and cold in the car. I put back in the recommended amount I believe the book says 48 oz. I will do this next check one minute.

That's good. If the compressor does come on then the fans should also come on within a minute or two of starting the engine with the a/c on.

ok, after about a minute, the back probe to unplugged driver fan dark blue wire lit up
Great! That tells us the fans have power, and the first test you did verified they had ground. The PCM is telling the fan relay and the fan relay is trying to power the fans, so if they aren't running then it's a problem with the fan motors themselves. The cooling fan assembly will need to be replaced.
But when i unplug the coolant sensor- under the coil pack- the coolant fans both come on while the vehicle is running.

I didn't know that.

So if you plug the connector back in now do the fans run? If not, the motors are bad. Try plugging it back in and see if they're working now.

Yep the fans came on. What did we do to fix it?
I wonder if you had a connection problem somewhere, either at the relay or the fan connectors. Be sure to check for any damage, corrosion or heat damage at all connections.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08