Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2001 dodge stratus: sedan..RPM..camshaft sensor..crankshaft sensor

Customer Question
I have a 2001 dodge...
I have a 2001 dodge stratus sedan. Lately I've been having some issues with the way that it's running: slow exceleration, feels jerky when excelerating at times, car shakes when stopped at a light while RPM's increasing like engine is reving and foot is on brake, engine died while stopped at a light a few times - radio & heat still on, but engine died. About a month or so ago, I had the camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor replacedon recommendation of mechanic, car ran fine for a month and symptoms started and got increasingly worse. I've had the transmission checked, and was told it's fine, that it's something with the engine, they just aren't sure yet.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dodge
4/8/2011
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 6 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Well this is your problem! Your computer is not even awake! Chances are you are missing a power or a ground to the computer causing it not to wake up. The only other possibility would either be a bad computer or the computer is being shorted out by another computer or a sensor.

I would start by checking all powers and grounds going to the PCM. THis includes all powers from all fuses, fusible links and even from the ignition switch.
If you need wiring diagram or a pin out chart of the PCM connectors, lets me know!
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
The mechanic wants to take apart my entire engine at an hourly cost to replace a belt that he thinks might be worn or stretched. Does this make any sense? I really don't want to keep paying for parts and labor just to find out that it didn't work and I have to go back a month later, rent a car for a few more days and pay for some other repairs
DO you know if the check engine light comes on?

Are there any codes in the computer?
If there are any misfire codes in the computer, you might just have bad tune up parts. When was the last time the engine was tuned up? No, not just plugs, but a full tune up! The whole nine yards! Any part of the secondary ignition will do this including the ignition coil or coils! This sounds like a classic ignition misfire! They usually go bad under a load like under acceleration, but can be noticeable at any time. It is very important to have your engine equipped with good tune up parts or you may be causing damage to other components of you car like the catalytic converter which can be expensive!

Possible causes:

Ignition misfire causes by any bad tune up part and or ignition coil or coils.
Bad spark plugs, spark plug wires and cap and rotor (if equipped)
Wrong tune up parts spark plug, wires etc...

Insulator cracks.
Wear.
Improper gap.
Burned electrodes.
Heavy deposits.

The quickest way to check the ignition components, is by looking closely for leaking secondary voltage. Visual look at all the tune up parts to see if you can see any sparks coming from any of the wires or coil (or coils) when the vehicle is running. If not, you can put your hand on the coil/coils and wires when the engine is running and see if you feel any small voltage leaking form the tune up parts. Check spark plug wires by connecting ohmmeter to ends of each wire in question. If meter reads over 30,000 ohms, replace wire(s).
ALso, with engine running, spray coils and plug wires with fine water mist to check for shorts.

It will leak secondary ignition voltage from the tune up parts caused by high resistance from carbon tracking if they are bad. This is very common if the tune up parts are not changed regularly!

If any is found, the tune up parts are simply bad an will need to be replaced! If none is found than you can spray a mist of water on the tune up parts when the engine is running and see if that causes the engine to stumble or run rough at all. Again, if it does, the tune up parts are bad and will need to be replaced!

Going to step out for a few minutes. If you have any further questions, just respond back and I will get back to you in about 30 minutes or so..

Talk to you then!
Ok.. sorry for the delay!

I just got back.

If you find out the code number or numbers in the computer, I will be able to give you more specific information regarding the code or codes.

In addition, if your engine is starting all of the time, then the powers and grounds going into your computer should be good. It sounds to me like you either have bad tune up parts or maybe a engine mechanical issue going on here.

Either way, let me know when you get the code number and we can continue...

Regards

AMEDEE
The engine light is always on, I don't have the codes and won't be able to get them until tomorrow. The mechanic wants to take the engine apart to change the timing chain and tensioner. Are these things that could cause the issues that I'm having? How long does it take to take a part an engine and change these things?
You ask some very good questions!

WHat size engine do you have?

This will dictate how much labor is involved?

It's a 6-cylinder

Ok.. yes.. this is a very big job and a very labor intensive job if he is going to replace your timing chain. He might be able to remove the cover or the valve cover gaskets to be able just to see if the chain is loose or if the timing belt marks are on.. I am not sure what he reasoning is.. I would assuming it would be one of these two reasons.... I have a feeling once I know the code number or numbers in the computer, this will all make sense to me..
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Sorry.. meant to say timing chain marks..

When I first took my car in back in February, the code was P0340 - no cam signal, I had crankshaft position & camshaft position sensors replaced. The same symptoms came back - worse this time, and now the code is P1391 - intermitent loss of CMP or CKP. Since he's already placed the sensors, he referenced it on a few different things, and on Identifix the most common and confirmed fix after replacing the sensors is to replaced the timing chain and potentially the tensioner as well.

Hello!

YES.. that is correct!

I think you are headed in the right direction.
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician