Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

How do you remove an oil pan from a 1999 dodge ram van 3500?

Customer Question
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dodge
4/3/2011
Dodge Mechanic: Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics replied 6 years ago
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics

Here is Dodge procedures

click link below

REMOVE OIL PAN

Please keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system.

I have sent the information you have requested.

PLEASE click ACCEPT so that I may get credit, thanks.

less then 12 inches between the bellhousing on the transmission and the cross member. not enough room to allow oil pan to be removed.removed motor mounts, jacked engine up as far as i can, only get about3-4 inches of clearence between oil pan and cross member. this is a 3500 15 passenger van.

this is a 3500 15 passenger van.

I understand...........

make sure the crankshaft is not causing the interference, as you may have to turn the crank to gain a little more
Also the Oil Pump strainer may have to come loose

Loosen Trans mount & be sure there is nothing in the way up top when jacking up motor

this is a 3500 15 passenger van.

I understand...........

I am doing a follow up and have noticed you have not Accepted or asked for additional info...
If you need additional info, please ask

If not, please click ACCEPT to honor your commitment........

Thank You

Don - Mo Lurch
im going to accept the answer so you can get paid........just so you know for the future on a 1999 dodge 3500 15 pass van. to get enough clearence to remove the oil pan you have to: lower the cross member ( i did it by slowly changing the bolts out with longer ones, i was able to lower it 5") with that and jacking up the motor per your instructions i was just barley able to remove the oil pan). it was that or moveing the transmision back about 8". im going to change out the oil pump while im in there any tricks i need to know?

REMOVAL

Remove the oil pan.
Remove the oil pump from rear main bearing cap.

INSTALLATION

Install oil pump.

During installation slowly rotate pump body to ensure driveshaft-to-pump rotor shaft engagement. (Unless you have removed Distributor, then you would align the Distributor with Oil Pump Shaft when installing Distriubutor)
Hold the oil pump base flush against mating surface on No.4 main bearing cap. Finger tighten pump attaching bolts. Tighten attaching bolts to 41 Nm (30 ft. lbs.) torque.
Install the oil pan.

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch