TIM
TIM, SERVICE MANAGER
Experience:  DODGE SERVICE MANAGER- 20 + YEARS
6531745

2004 Dodge Durango: it wont start..security system..unlock..doors

My daughter's husband detached the battery of her 2004 Dodge Durango overnight. Now it won't start because she can't disable the security system. She can unlock the doors with the power remote- but when she turns the key the security alarm just dings and the car will not even try to start. Is there a way to reset this?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  TIM replied 6 years ago.

TIM :

have you tried key in the door to disarm

Customer:

What do you mean- to unlock with the key rather than the remote? I think she did.

Customer:

All was fine before her husband detached the battery overnight- so I think it is a reset problem.

TIM :

yes on the key-- and by unhooking and reconnecting the battery it has activated the theft system

TIM :

scratch the key in the door -- it does not have door disarm switch -- the only way to disarm is as follows

TIM :

DISARMING

Since this vehicle is not equipped with lock cylinder switches, passive disarming of the VTSS is only possible if the vehicle is equipped with the optional Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS). On vehicles with SKIS, turning the ignition switch to the ON position using a valid SKIS key will passively disarm VTSS. Active disarming of the VTSS occurs when the vehicle is unlocked by depressing the UNLOCK button of the RKE transmitter. Once the alarm has been activated, either disarming method will also deactivate the alarm. Depressing the PANIC button on the RKE transmitter will not disarm the VTSS.

Customer:

We have tried locking and unlocking in every manner. She performs the same process that she did before the problem on starting the vehicle- buts it just dings and won't attempt to start.

Customer:

Is the RKE transmitter the remote key?

TIM :

have you tried to start the car in neutral?

TIM :

yes on the rke

TIM :

it just won't start-- is the horn sounding and lights flashing?

Customer:

Can we get it in neutral without starting it? No the horn is not honking. Just a dinging tone when trying to start.

TIM :

turn key to on-- put foot on brake and shift to neutral and see if it turns over?

TIM :

i would also try to jump start the car to elimate an internal short in the battery

Customer:

Any other suggestion if this does not work while I have you online?

TIM :

i will be here for some time -- give it a whirl and let me know how we make out?tim

Customer:

OK- she lives 25 miles from me- I will call her and have her complete these tasks. Thanks- Beth

TIM :

let me know?

Customer:

Yes- I will let u know. The neutral thing did not work- so she is waiting for her son to come home to try to jump start the car.

TIM :

ok-- keep me posted

Customer:

Did not help with the jump-start either.

TIM :

not good-- only thing let is the vehicle theft and security module failure-- this will not be fixed in the door yard-- this is a dealer repair