Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Dodge Neon SXT What would cause fuse #21 (ASD Relay) in the

Customer Question
<p>What would cause fuse #21...
<p>What would cause fuse #21 (ASD Relay) in the PCM of my 04 Dodge Neon SXT to keep blowing? No OBDII codes, and no alarms from my ultragauge before it happens. Just blows while I'm driving (in any weather condition) and the car's dead until I put in a new fuse. The stock fuse is a 20amp, and it's blowing 30amp fuses. Don't want to risk trying a bigger fuse. </p><p>This first happened about 2 months ago. Replaced the fuse and it started right up. Did a tune up asap and found plug #2 was pretty loose so I figured that may have been the cause. Now, all of a sudden starting Monday night, I can't go more than a few miles without the fuse blowing. Just went through 5 on what's usually a 30min drive. </p><p>I was told to check the PCM connections and buss bars, but I can't get it open. I unsnapped all the tabs around it, but there's an arm moulded into the top half of the box that's connected to the body around the top of the wheel well. I couldn't figure out how to get it loose and I can't open the fuse box until I can do that. </p><p>So far everyone I've talked to about this is stumped, and I've talked to a lot of people about it. I think it's probably a short in the wires somewhere, but I have no idea where to look. I don't know whats in series or parallel with the ASD relay fuse and I don't have the time to dig out and inspect every wire in my car. </p><p>If anyone here can help me out here, I'll be extremely impressed because I've chatted with a lot of auto and electrical gurus about this and no one has an answer or even a starting point for me.</p>
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dodge
3/11/2011
Dodge Mechanic: Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician replied 6 years ago
Dodge expert
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

It doesn't happen while cranking the engine. It only happens while I'm driving. It Idles fine, even if I give it gas for a minute. The fuse has blown out going 60 down the highway, creeping up a driveway, and about any speed in between. This has been happening every time I drive since Monday night. But today I noticed a loss of power for the first time. It happened three times in a row on my way home today, in about 0.5 to 1 mile intervals, where my neon would just start feeling gutless, like the muffler had been ripped off, and then the fuse would pop. After the third time, I stopped at a gas station for a few minutes, shut my car off, and debated with myself over calling a tow truck. I decided to get as close to home as I could with the spare fuses I had, and it drove fine the rest of the way home which was about 8 miles.
I'll check out the coil pack and let you know, but I'm not optimistic at this point.
Even being intermittent , it if you could have eight the short in the ignition coil also look very carefully that you do not have a short or the wiring may have melted to the exhaust , the most important thing is that we tested with the problem being present . If we continue these tests with a short present we can pin it down pretty quickly but if it's a very intermittent problem we may need to wait until it appears again
Dodge expert
Dodge expert
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician