Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Dodge intrepid 2004 dodge intrepid 2.7l has code p1776. have

Customer Question
2004 dodge intrepid 2.7l has...
2004 dodge intrepid 2.7l has code p1776. have replaced valve body and solenoidpack twice. replced pcm (used one) checked all wirring and connections, but still comes back with code in limp home mode. takes about 10 min or so to set for the first time (after sitting awhile) once it does it once it will act up pretty much right away. If you stay driving fast enough to keep it in overdive it will not act up, but as soon as you slow down enoughto allow it to shift to 3rd it will act up again.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dodge
2/11/2011
Dodge Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech replied 6 years ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
hi, have you perform this TSB from the factory A/T - MIL ON/DTC P1776 Set

NUMBER: 21-008-04 REV. A

GROUP: Transmission

DATE: October 16, 2004

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 21-008-04, DATED JUNE 1, 2004. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDE AN ADDITIONAL MODEL YEAR AND A UPDATED DISCUSSION.

SUBJECT:
MIL Illumination - DTC P1776 Solenoid Switch Valve Latched in LR Position
MODELS:

2004 (AN) Dakota

2004 - 2005 (CS) Pacifica

2003 - 2004 (JR) Sebring Convertible/Sebring Sedan/Stratus Sedan

2003 - 2004 (KJ) Liberty

2003 - 2004 (KJ) Cherokee (International Markets)

**2002** - 2004 (LH) 300M/Concorde/Intrepid

2003-2004 (PL) Neon/SX2.0

2003 - 2005 (PT) PT Cruiser

2003 - 2005 (RG) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)

2003 - 2005 (RS) Town & Country/Voyager/Caravan

2003 - 2004 (TJ) Wrangler

NOTE :Refer to the following table for specific applications.
DISCUSSION:

If the vehicle operator describes a MIL illumination and the technician finds DTC P1776 Solenoid Switch Valve Latched in LR Position is set the DRBIII(R) can be used to access the event data screen and look at the "TRS Code" reading.

NOTE : The solenoid switch valve is not in the solenoid pack it is in the valve body.
TRS Code Reads TR2

If the TRS Code displays TR2 it is an indication that the manual valve was not fully in the OD position at the time the DTC was set. Check the shifter cable adjustment and adjust if necessary. Also check the shift control system for excessive friction and/or routing issues.

TRS Code Reads OD

If the "TRS Code displays "OD" then a sticky solenoid switch valve is the primary cause.

Perform the proper diagnosis for the valve body. Inspect for foreign material in the solenoid switch valve and plugs.

**FOR 2002 - 2004 LH MODEL ONLY**

**If replacing the valve body assembly for DTC P1776 Solenoid Switch Valve Latched in LR Position first inspect the build date on the solenoid pack (Fig. 1) or (Fig. 2). If the build date range falls in between 3001 and 0603 replace the solenoid pack not the valve body**

NOTE :The first three characters are the day of the year, the fourth character is the year, ie. 3001 is the 300th day of 2001.
POLICY:
Information Only
Disclaimer :This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair.

e factory?
<p>trs code tr2</p><p>hello anybody there?</p>
Dodge Mechanic: jeepmopar76, Dodge/Chrysler Triple Master Tech replied 6 years ago
jeepmopar76
jeepmopar76, Dodge/Chrysler Triple Master Tech

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Denny; now let me see if I can help you with your Dodge question.

Are you using parts store parts, or are you using factory Mopar parts?

mopar fctory rebuilt vave bodies with solenoid packs on them

hi, sorry i had problems with my connection are you still having problems with the transmission? did you read the tsb i send to you?
yes
hi are you present online?
I am here
have you solved the problem on the transmission yet?
no
ok have you try adjusting the shifter cable at the shifter level on the transmission ,if the cable is not align properly it will set this code because the level is between two shifts and the transmission controller does not know wish one to applied. therefore this code is set thats why the code description solenoid switch valve lash in low and reverse.
I will double check it tues, but it seemed fine. my scan tool always displayed the gear i had selected.
yes but it can still be a hair off the scanners only see the shifter position ,not the lever. do check and let me know ,another thing if the shifter cable is binding it will cause this problem .
double checked adjustment. it was slightly off so i changed it. I took it out for a drive and had it act up again in about 4 miles. when i start slowing down from highway speed (50 mph) and i believe it shifts to 3rd gear and then imediately goes limp mode (2nd gear) until you turn the key off than is normal for a while. seems to act up when decelerating like for a stop sign or turn. pretty sure during a 4th to 3rd gear downshift.

ok, this is cause by the 3 and 4 accumulator seal posibly leaking you need to remove the valve body to get to the 3 and 4 accumulator replace the seals they are leaking if the transmission is limping there must be a code stored on the computer have you retracted this code?

p1776 is the accumulator in the valve body, or trans case under valve body? are you thinking seals on the actual piston?

yes piston seals i guess you know what i am talking about, good. then you should know that this accumulators will cause this problem .
would this show up as cvi out of spec.
no chi will only show clutch volume not, accumulator pressure.
o.k. new piston seals all 3 pistons-still same problem. I looked at this idea but still don't see how seal could cause this symptom.
hey you still there?
should i ask for a differant expert?
hi, can you give me the CVI readings?
i will have to check them thurs. as i recall the o.d. may have been the only one that was slightly high out of spec.

oke can you see if you give me the readings it will help i need to see how hi or how low the cvi is on OD and UD overdrive and under drive clutches, sorry for the delay but i promise to be here on thursday. thank you.

Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech