Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Dodge Durango: rear hatch..it wont open with handle, key remote,

why wont my 08 Dodge...
why wont my 08 Dodge Durango rear hatch not open. it wont open with handle, key remote, or from inside? also it is not a fuse
2/9/2011
Mr. T
Mr. T, Chrysler Certified Technician

Mr. T :

Hello and thanks for using just answer. These are a electronic latch. Even with the maual handle, it still actuates an electronic latch. You will have to gain access to the inside of the hatch from the inside of the vehicle. The lever to release the latch will be more on the drivers side of the latch unit.

Mr. T :

I have replaced quite a few of these. The solenoid in the latch assembly goes bad, and unfortunately you have to replace the entire assembly to change out this part.

Mr. T :

How many miles are on your durango, if under 36000 miles this will be a covered expense under warranty

JACUSTOMER-4qi3sjmg- :

can you please give me more details how to find the latch, and what does this normally cost?

Mr. T :

I dont believe that the latch assembly is over a hundred dollars but dont quote me on that

Full Size Image

Mr. T :

Is an image, the arm that you will need to pull on around is what the handle linkage hooks to.

Mr. T :

I believe that you need to remove the interior hatch lamp to get access to it.

JACUSTOMER-4qi3sjmg- :

is this replacement time consuming?

Mr. T :

No, once you get the hatch open, its cake. I believe there are 4 phillips screws and just clips holding the interior panel in. Then there are only 3 torx bolts holding the latch into the door.

JACUSTOMER-4qi3sjmg- :

ok. Thank you for your help. I have to drive 45 min to drop this off to be fixed, I didnt want to go if it wasnt necessary.

Mr. T :

No problem, glad to have helped.

JACUSTOMER-4qi3sjmg- :

Thanks again. Have a good day. I will give you a great rating

Mr. T :

Will do thanks!!!

Mr. T
Mr. T, Chrysler Certified Technician
Mr. T
Mr. T
Mr. T, Chrysler Certified Technician