Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2010 Dodge Caravan: Vehicle will quit running..driving down

Customer Question
New 2010 Dodge Caravan SXT...
New 2010 Dodge Caravan SXT. Vehicle will quit running while driving down the road without warning. It has done it several times. Had it to the dealership several times. It is currently at the dealership and has been at the dealership for two weeks. Nobody knows anything. I see many complaints of the same. HELP! I have a vehicle that is a safety issue of which I have no faith in to drive and at this point I have no faith in Chrysler. Is this another TOYOTA accelerator problem? Does Chrysler/Is Chrysler aware of the problem? What is being done to correct it? Believe the consumer it is happening....THIS IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM WHEN THE VEHICLE QUITS ALL POWER IS LOST AND CONTROL OF THE VEHICLE BECOMES COMPROMISED WITHOUT QUESTION....THIS COULD CAUSE A FATAL ACCIDENT. AGAIN HELP, HELP AND HELP SOME MORE.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dodge
2/4/2011
Dodge Mechanic: Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician replied 6 years ago
Dodge expert
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician

Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.

When it dies does the engine stop running or does it just go to idle .

if it is just dropping to idle the accel pos sensor could be the cause , if the engine just dies i would suspect a faulty , crank shaft position sensor

No the vehicle does not go into idle. It completely and without question STOPS RUNNING AND SHUTS DOWN. You have to put the vehicle into neutral while trying to keep it under control and restart then drop back into drive to accelerate and proceed down the road. What a manuver going 60 mph trying to stay calm, hit neutral and or not reverse or park causing and accident and thereby restarting the vehicle to gain control again. Crank shaft position sensor--explain more? Why hasn't the dealership tried replacing this and or suggested it to me as a possible solution?
If this dies out at highway speeds and my first suspicion would definitely be a faulty crankshaft position sensor, have them either monitor the sensor or just replace it and be done with it
I am not going to be happy nor am I going to accept the answer until the vehicle is fixed and fixed properly. I will be speaking to the dealership. Is there anything else at all that should be addressed concerning this problem?
I would not expected to be happy or accept my answer until the vehicle is repaired . Although keep in mind I am here to give you diagnostic advice I have no control over the quality of the diagnostics or the quality of the repair . I am here to help you as long as it takes to solve your problem . And yes there's a shopping list of other possible causes, I'm trying to leave you in the direction of the most common in simpler just cause . We could have a shorted module in the vehicle somewhere shorting out the communications bus , we could have a faulty PCM, we could have a faulty instrument cluster , we could have a faulty fuel pump , we could have a short and the injector wiring, we could've a faulty alternator , so bear with us Because there are many many possibilities and working from your description which is extremely vague I'm trying to help you help yourself
The description is exactly what happens and isn't vague. The vehicle quits running without notice. Period. I understand there could be multiple reasons. I will be talking to the dealership. Please understand I am a very, very, very unhappy Chrysler owner right now. Also understand I paid cash for this vehicle in good faith. Thinking that Chrysler a multi billion dollar company would stand by its products. I do appreciate your insight and direction but will wait for results before accepting an answer. I will tell you what the dealership has to say.
Very good thank you like I said I'm here as long as it takes to solve your problem so let me know what you find
Took this information and conversation to the dealership. Let him read it. The dealership did in fact end up replacing the crank shaft position sensor. Picked the car up today (2/10/2011). The dealership has had it 3 weeks. Will wait to see if the vehicle continues to stop running while driving down the road. Right now I don't have any faith in Chrysler or the vehicle.
Great let me know what happens thank you
I will. Question. Was the crank shaft position sensor a Chrysler directive first solution step or strickly your thoughts? Just asking because the dealer didn't argue.
No this was something that I was thinking myself as a good possibility
Waiting to see how the vehicle runs. At this point it is a wait and see proposition.
Okay let me know thank you, if we needed to do more testing or go further we will
Have had the vehicle 6 days from 2/10 until today 2/16. Today it quit twice. Once driving down the road and a second time while turning left arcoss traffic in an intersection. Judging from the flip of the bird and the honking of horns I would say the oncoming traffic and traffic behind me wasn't happy. Neither am I. Not fixed. Ready to ship it back to Chrysler in a matchbox. Any other ideas or thoughts? The dealer isn't being so nice anymore. I'm about to have a huge public display in his showroom. Maybe the lawyer will have better results. Venting can you tell.
Which engine do you have?
3.8 Liter V6
The next thing they will need to do is monitor the, fuel presure when it dies , but i feel from your pcm ,power control module could have a fault in one of the circuits , have they changed the pcm ?
NO
ok you may very well have a defective pcm
How can they monitor the fuel pressure when it stops? It does it in the middle of the road without warning while driving. I always have to restart it to get it going again. It isn't like I can stop going 60 mph or in the middle of an intersection and say oh wait I need Chrysler to monitor the vehicle now.
The way we monitor the fuel pressure is using a Manual fuel pressure test gauge and simply run the hose inside the vehicle suppose so that you are monitoring the fuel pressure while driving along and when the vehicle dies you can actually see if you still have fuel pressure or not
Dealer does not want to replace the PCM. Says that if he changes out parts at random and they are not bad according to Chrysler (per part returned testing) he will have to pay for them and or charge me. He claims not the problem...........but what is! I know this much it is a problem for me and I shouldn't have to pay for questionable parts under warranty. As I understand it only a small fraction of parts are actually returned to Chrysler and tested. Sometimes they request the part and other times not. Obviously there is a problem somewhere. Getting no where fast.
I would approach dodge customer service and see if they will take the car back under the lemon law , they can not seem to fix the trouble over and over

Chrysler is recalling about 250,000 vehicles to fix potential engine stalling. The company says it will recall 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town and Country minivans and 2010 Dodge Journey corssovers in the wake of reports that the ignition key could move while driving and cause the engine to shut off. Chrysler says if the engine shuts off while driving, it could increase the risk of a crash. the vehicles were built between August 2009 and June 2010. The company told the government it had received 32 customer complaints and was aware of two rear-end crashes. The recall is expected to begin in April. Owners can call Chrysler at XXX-XXX-XXXX.

PS. I was billed for $27.00 on my credit card. I never once accepted any answer from Just Ask. Consumer rip off but yet again. At least I have some piece of mind with what is going on with the vehicle and am passing my information on to you in the event somone else asks between now and when the recall formally occurs.

Your billed $27.00 as a deposit, I've not been paid at all because you have not press accept for any of my assistants if you're satisfied with my efforts please press except so I can get payed Thank you
The 27.00 deposit- was just that a deposit -it wasn't to be billed to me unless I accepted. Guess what it was billed to me and I didn't accept any answer yet. It is just like hotel ammendies. If you don't use them they don't get charged to your account.....if you use them they are charged to you at the time of check out. Well I haven't checked out yet but they charged me. I shouldn't have been billed for something I haven't accepted an answer too. Where is the 100% satisfaction?
i am a tech who answers the questions we have nothing to do with the billing, back to your original problem is there anything else I can do for you? Are we still trying to fix the car or did dodge warranty it for you?
Well when the recall notice offically comes then the car will be taken back to the dealership. Only time will tell if the recall corrects the problem. As stated above the recall doesn't start until April 2011. Chrysler is saying you must wait to receive the recall notice in the mail before returning the vehicle to the dealership for service even if there is past history documented. We are in a wait and see mode.

They sounds good let me know how you make out

Please press accept

Dodge expert
Dodge expert
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician