Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Dodge Intrepid ES how to time a 1999 dodge intrepid 3.2 m

how to time a 1999...
how to time a 1999 dodge intrepid 3.2 motor
1/31/2011
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

kalamykid :

Do you need the timing marks?

JACUSTOMER-6w2kd1z1- :

no

kalamykid :

What can i do for you tonihgt?

JACUSTOMER-6w2kd1z1- :

i do need the marks

kalamykid :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-6w2kd1z1- :

it went out of time and i want to know how to reset the timing. i know where the timing marks are i need to know how toget them to line up again

kalamykid :

How far out is the timing?

JACUSTOMER-6w2kd1z1- :

i turned the crankshaft with timing belt off and turned the camshafts also

kalamykid :

You do know that this engine is an interferance engine right?

kalamykid :

How far did you turn the crank shaft with out turning the cams?

kalamykid :

And did the timing belt break witht he engine running?

JACUSTOMER-6w2kd1z1- :

what is an interferance engine. engine was shut off i was replacing the waterpump. i did not line up timimg marks before taking belt off. i tried lining them up when i put the belt on and i cannot remember how many times i turned the crankshaft or camshafts

kalamykid :

an interferance engine is an engine that will let the valves hit the pistons, if the cams and crank do not turn in time.

kalamykid :

if yu tunred the crank and did not turn the cam gears at the same time, then you could have bent the vlaves.

kalamykid :

Did yu notice an little bumps when turning the crank?

JACUSTOMER-6w2kd1z1- :

no

kalamykid :

Where are the timing marks at now for each cam and the crank?

JACUSTOMER-6w2kd1z1- :

i could only feel the compression when turning it . the cames are fairly close to the marks but when i try to line them up to the marks they eitherspring back or around the other way

kalamykid :

have you compressed the timing belt tensioner yet?

JACUSTOMER-6w2kd1z1- :

no there is no belt on it yet because i cant line the marks up

kalamykid :

You have to remove the timing belt tentioner, and compress it with a vise. There is a small hole in the casing that goes all the way through, and a small hole in the shaft in the center of the tensioner. You have to use a small alen wrench to hold the piston in. i will post a diagram of it for you.

JACUSTOMER-6w2kd1z1- :

iknow this what iwant to know is how to get the timing back to where it should be. it doesnt pay to put the belt on if the timing is not right

kalamykid :

you have to compress the tentioner fisrt.

kalamykid :

Full Size Image

kalamykid :

If yu do not compress the tentioner first then you will never get the timing belt back on right.

kalamykid :

After you compress the tentioner then you have tobolt it back in.

JACUSTOMER-6w2kd1z1- :

ican do what you suggest and put the belt back on but how does that get my timimg back to the timing marks

kalamykid :

You nave to start at the crank, set the timing mark corectly for the crank, run the belt so it is around the crank and run the belt up to the drivers side cam.With a wrench turn the cam gear so it is lining up with its markand then slide the belt over the camand with a clths pin clamp it to the cam gear.

kalamykid :

then you can run the belt under the water pump. Make sure the belt is over the tentioner pully, then you can turn the passanger hed cam just past the timing mark clock wize and slide the belt on, when you tun the cam gear back to it proper place the belt should be tought and the marks should all line up.then pull the alen wrench out of the tentioner.

kalamykid :

Verify the marks are all lined up.

kalamykid :

then turn the crank two full turns clock wize and recheck the marks.

kalamykid :

If the marks line up afyer two full turns you are done.

kalamykid :

But you must have the tnesioner compressed and bolted back in or you will never get the cams to sit right.

JACUSTOMER-6w2kd1z1- :

thank you .it makes sense to me now iwill give it atry

kalamykid :

Ok

kalamykid :

The crank will hold the drivers cam gear in place after you put the belt on the two.

JACUSTOMER-6w2kd1z1- :

thanks and have a good night

kalamykid :

The belt must be tought on the driver side when you set the cam gear tand the belt back right.

kalamykid :

You too

kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
kalamykid
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech