Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Dodge RAM 2500 4x4 2006 dodge diesel pickup wont start

2006 dodge diesel pickup won't start
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 6 years ago.

Chris :

Hello and welcome to just answer. Let me see if I can help you with this. Will the engine not even crank?

JACUSTOMER-2siq1no2- :

Yes the engine cranks just doesn't fire

JACUSTOMER-2siq1no2- :

I had this problem last summer and for some reason tried to start with the other spare key that came with the vehicle and it started fine with that key. I have been fighting dead batteries lately could that have caused something?

Chris :

Does it start and die immediately, or will it not even try to start? Also, is there a red security light on in the instrument panel that stays on?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It doesn't attempt to start what does security light look like?
Expert:  Chris replied 6 years ago.

It will be a small red dot in the cluster. Send me your VIN # XXXXX the mileage on the truck. I want to look up your truck's options and see if it has the SKIM security system.

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
79000 miles 3d7k526cx6g117398
Expert:  Chris replied 6 years ago.

Ok, thanks I found your truck and it does have the SKIM security system. Do you see the red dot light up and then turn off if you turn the ignition on?

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it lights up and then goes to flashing
Expert:  Chris replied 6 years ago.

ok, that tells me that there is a problem with the key or the WCM (Wireless Control Module). Try this next. Disconnect the negative battery cable for about 2 minutes, reconnect it, and then see if it will start. Let me know.

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It now starts what went wrong?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Why did it suddenly not start and need to be disconnected from battery. Now check engine light is on??
Expert:  Chris replied 6 years ago.

I have seen this before, and what is happening is the WCM locked up electrically. You will eventually need to have the WCM replaced. Not sure why the check engine light is on, but it may be related to the failing WCM. Well, glad you got her started. Note: when you take the truck in to get the WCM replaced, bring all of the truck's keys with you because they will need to be programmed into the new WCM.

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how much will that cost
Expert:  Chris replied 6 years ago.

Let me check. I will be right back.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 6 years ago.

Ok, I just checked with my parts department and the WCM lists for $77.00, and it takes about an hour to replace it and reprogram the keys. So the labor charge will depend on what your dealer's hourly rate is.

Chris