Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

All of my dash gauges stop working .

Customer Question

all of my dash gauges stop working .could my alternator be the cause
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with....

Are there any codes in the computer?

Does the engine start and run ok?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the engien runs fine what is working all of the extieior lights- horn-radio- cigarette lighter. when I turn on the blower for a/c or heater then turn of engien the 30 amp fuse will blow. and their are no codes showing . hope that helps . thanks for advise
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
So is this fuse that blows a separate issue? Are the gauges inoperative all of the time regardless of the fuse or not?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I gress the fuse is separate issue. the gauges are off all the time. the fuse does not affect gauges another thing thats not working is windsheld wipers they stop the same time as gauges

Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
IT sounds to me like you just have a bad module causing this problem.
Test the BUS volts at the diagnostic connector under the dash. Pin 3 and 11 should have 2.5 volts each. If the voltage is not present, clip the bus wires at the cluster and check the voltage coming out of the cluster. It should be putting out 2.5 volts, it is the source of the voltage. If the voltage is present coming out of the cluster, start unplugging modules one at a time to see which modules are taking the bus down.

You can also run a self test on the cluster to see if it will respond. Start with the key in the off position. Hold down the trip and the reset buttons. Turn the key to the "on" position. Hold the buttons in until the word "CHEC" appears in the odometer display. After that the dash gauges should sweep and all the lights should turn on and off.

Potential Causes:
Cluster Assembly
Module — On bus
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I already put in a new module . a macanic said that it was a problem with dodge trucks.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Module? You mean computer? Which computer? The ECM or PCM ot maybe another module?