sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Way to program a new key fob remote without taking it to a dealer??

Is there a way to program a new key fob remote without taking it to a dealer??

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you have one key fob that does work?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry, no bought truck used and no fob came with it.

If you had one fob that was programmed and worked then there is a way to program more yourself. If you don't have one that is programmed then a scan tool is needed. It's like this for security - if it could be done without already having one that is programmed then anyone could program a fob to your truck to get in it.

Without having one fob that does work the only way to program a new one is with a DRBIII scan tool. This will need to be done at your dealer and will only take a couple minutes. At my dealer the programming of key fobs runs $21.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i guess my next question would be are you in the vegas area...the dealership i bought my $40 remote wanted $60 to program
No, I'm in the midwest. This can be done by any shop or dealer that has a DRBIII scan tool (any dealer for sure). Being in the big city like you are the prices for everything will be higher (the labor rate at my dealer is under $80 an hour, in Vegas this dealer's rate is likely well over $100). I would try calling around to different dealers and see how much they charge. If you are in an area where you can easily get to a more rural area with a Chrysler dealer their labor rates and prices will likely be cheaper.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you so very much for your help!!!
You're welcome! If I have been helpful clicking the Accept button will give me credit for helping you today. Have a great weekend and good luck with your new truck!