Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

98 dodge ram 1500: spark..the coil crank sensor & pickup coil

Customer Question
I have a 98 dodge...
I have a 98 dodge ram 1500 no spark changed the coil crank sensor & pickup coil could it be the comptuer
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/11/2011
Dodge Mechanic: brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question. Yes it could be the computer. Do you have a volt meter to do a couple tests with?
yes
Do you get voltage to the coil when cranking the engine?
no
OK....then remove the asd relay and with the key on tell me which terminals have voltage to them
what is asd relay where and what it looks like
ASD= Auto Shut Down

It is located under the hood in the fuse box.

graphic
looking at it from the side the bottom and top right have power
Can you tell me the number from this picture? I just want to make sure.

graphic
30 & 86
OK.....try switching another relay in the fuse box that looks like the asd relay with it and see if the vehicle will start.
all ready did no start
Try jumping from terminal 30 to terminal 87 and see if the vehicle will start
with relay in or out
With it out
still nothing
OK.....Now I need to know with the key on if getting voltage to the crank sensor and the pick up coil
with a test light no but with a voltage tester seems to be low
What voltage reading are you getting?
i dont know my meter is a piece of shit
But you do get a reading at both sensors?
yes and on the crank sensor when i touch one termial with the test light the one that has low voltage the realy clicks and the fuel pump starts
OK......now I need to know if getting voltage out of the sensors when cranking. You will need to use a paper clip or something small to push into the back of the connector to get a reading. The signal wire is the wire on the other end of the connector. there should be three wires the power wire then the center wire then the signal wore and you need to be on the signal wire. I need to know if you get voltage out when cranking and if the voltage changes
can i get back to you later this evning i need to get a better meter and someone to help
ok....that is fine
its craig with that 98 ram no spark I have 5 volts on both sensors I checked for power on the sensors while cranking nothing
The connectors were hooked to the sensors while doing the test correct?
yes
Not to be dumb but the rotor does turn on the distributor when cranking the engine correct?
yes it does
Check the center wire to the sensor to make sure it is a good ground
yes good grd on both
If no voltage out either the sensor are bad or your not getting a good reading
is there a test for the crank sensor
You just did it and it failed if you have voltage in and none out
well what are the odds both new sensors are bad
I know! That is why I was wondering if you got the paper clip in far enough?
i striped part of the wire
Then the sensor is bad. If you have voltage in and none out and there is a good ground it has to be the sensor
Relist: Incomplete answer.
The answers that were given to me i already had tried prior. i need another possible diagnosis.
brownjeff
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician