Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Dodge 2004 dodge ram 1500 5.7 liter.while driving the check

2004 dodge ram 1500 5.7...
2004 dodge ram 1500 5.7 liter.while driving the check engine light and ETC light came on and was flashing.I lost power but engine did not turn off.I disconnected the battery to reset and truck ran fine for several miles.Now driving at lower speeds the truck shuts down completly but am able to shift into nueltral an it starts right up and drives fine for many miles before it happens again.The ETC light and ckeck engine light does not come on when truck shuts down.
12/20/2010
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question. Have you checked to see if there are any codes in the computer?
no I have not checked codes.THe proplem is Iam currently in the country of panama and need to take it to a dealership here and want to sound like I know what i am talking about.Maybe you guys have acces to some place here in panama city ,panama.
Try this......Take and turn the key on and off three times. Do not start the vehicle and leave the key on the last time. Then watch the odometer for numbers and let me know what you get. It will look like this: ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON
The odometer reading just stayed on milage.The ETC and check engine light came on,then ETC light went out and check engine light blinked for 5 to 7 seconds then stayed lit
May not have any codes then if nothing showed up. What your describing is a failing crank sensor and most likely is the problem. With it starting right back will be hard to diagnosis unless you have a scan tool you can watch the signal from the crank sensor to see if the computer is loosing the signal. Otherwise either have to wait for it not to start to test or take a guess and replace the crank sensor.

Please explain to me what is a crank sensor, so I explain to the local mechanic. What is the costs of it and how hard is it to repair.

What you are telling me is that there has to be a scan on it when it happens, but it only happens sometimes, not consistenly.

The crank sensor help determine the timing and when acting up can cause a misfire or the engine to stall or not start as the computer doesn't know what cylinder to fire. The part is around $100.00 and takes around 40 minutes to replace. With the truck in this condition yes a scan tool would be needed to diagnosis it. If it wont start a volt meter could be used to check and see if the crank sensor is sending voltage to the computer and if the voltage changes when cranking. If no voltage out of the sensor or it doesn't change when cranking then it needs replaced

when the ETC came on an flash and lost power it that related to the same problem to the truck stalling when I am driving

When the truck is stalling or not running correctly many lights can come on as the electrical system will not be working correctly so yes it can all be related. You need to fix the stalling problem first and then see if there are any other issues.
The ETC light flashed and I lost most of my power and my engine would not let me go over 1500 rpms. But never stall, that happen to me twice before my truck was stalling.
Yes the crank sensor can cause the vehicle to not run properly as the computer controls the timing and if getting a wrong signal from the crank sensor it will have the wrong timing. The ETC will not cause the vehicle to stall so would start with the stalling problem first and see if it corrects the ETC problem
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
brownjeff
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician