Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2004 Dodge Durango: trans control module..check engine light came

I have a 2004 Dodge Durango the trans control module has been changed and the check engine light came back on the next day any advice?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Hello!

Do you happen to know the code number in the computer?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

code number?

Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Yeah.... the code number in the computer. The light is on because there is a code number in the computer.

Was the module replaced because there was a code number in the computer?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

this is what the tech has on my slip 12chkcodes: check codes, system lights on customer states check engine light is on work performed by XXXXX XXXXX. 661

customer advised the trans control module is bad. part no RL028795AC I had it changed and reset and the light came back on this am. not changed by XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Oh.. so you told them to replace the transmission control module?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It was changed and brought to riverside in Iron Mt Mi and reset. could something be wrong with the reset or did I fix something that did not need to be fixxed???
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
It sounds to me like the transmission control module was not even bad.

Get me the codes in the computer and I will point you in the right direction.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

po700 trans control stystem malfuction

po841 trans- fluid rressure sensor/switch

ckt range/perf

changed the pcm module controls all

hope this helps

2004 Durango

Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Ok.. are these the codes that were in the computer before the tcm being replaced? If so, what are the codes in the computer now?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

that was before the new trans control module was replaced.

then when the new one was in they cleared all.

Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
And what are the codes in the computer now?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
they never gave me any now ones they said it was clear. ??????????????????
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Well, you said the light is on... right? If so, then there is a code in the computer. Just go to auto zone and have them scan the computer for codes and let me know!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have the old core. should I have that checked?
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
NO... just plug the scanner into your computer... don't do anything to your vehicle and let me know if the same codes are in there or if they are different ones..
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I cant hook it up till monday pm to see what the codes read now as we have a big huge snow storm here at the moment. mother nature is mad at us appartently. could I get back with you????????????
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
You bet!

You can accept my answer now and we can still continue our conversation when you get the codes.. or you can wait... it is up to you. Either way I wont leave you hanging!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will get back to you monday evening. around 6:00 central time. thanks for everything and I hope you can help me. sorry to be a pain but I need to know. I have owned a Dodge my whole life. ( hope that is a good thing) and have never had a problem like this. hope it never happens again. (not at christmas time anyway) hope all goes well and happy holidays. Love Deb;talk to you monday if the snow ever quits.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Wink Sounds good! Stay warm!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks for all talk to you monday pm ok. love Deb
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Cool
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have not had a chance to get back to you till now. I just got out of a big snow storm here and now my durango wont shift at all. I cant get it to the shop to check what the code is now. any advice?
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
As to what the problem is or what you should do next?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what next I guess or what the problem could be?
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
You need to start by pulling codes from the computer. THis will give us an idea of what the computer "thinks" is going on here causing your shifting issue.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok but do you think we could get codes off of the old core? that is the one the shop still has or do we have to pull the new computer? that is going to take time.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
NO...Just use a scanner and pull codes from the diagnostic port under the dash.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok I need some time to get a hold of one of the scanner again. might be a day or so thanks for your time. be back soon as I can.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Sounds good!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hey, now I had a auto shop come to my house with a big machine. it said the low reverse pressure soleniod circut ( spelling ) was bad. my question is, did the control molule have to be changed also if, this works???????????????????
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Hello!

Sorry for the delay!

From what you are telling me, no... I don't think the module was bad.

I hope this helps. You can always accept my answer now, and repost back again later on if you have any more questions. If you want to discuss it some more just hit "reply", it's free to do so otherwise don't forget to hit "accept" and leave positive feedback if you found my answer helpful.

Regards

AMEDEE