Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Replace the wheel bearings on a 1999 dodge ram 1500 2 wheel drive

How do you replace the...
How do you replace the wheel bearings on a 1999 dodge ram 1500XXXXX
12/2/2010
the expert
the expert, ASE Certified Technician

Wheel Bearings

Note: Bearing and races must be replaced as a set if worn or damaged.

Removal

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
  2. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
  3. Remove disc brake caliper.
  4. Remove the dust cap, cottor pin, nut lock, nut and washer from spindle.

1. Carefully slide the hub/rotor from spindle.

Caution: Use care to prevent inner wheel bearing and seal from contacting spindle threads during removal.

1. Remove the seal and inner wheel bearing from the hub/rotor.
  2. Remove the inner and outer bearing cups from hub/rotor with a pin punch.

Installation

1. Install the new bearing cups with an appropriate size driver tool.
  2. Apply a coating of MOPAR Wheel Bearing Grease to inner surface area of hub.
  3. Clean and grease inner and outer wheel bearings.
  4. Install inner wheel bearing and new bearing seal.
  5. Inspect bearing and seal contact surfaces on spindle for burrs and roughness.
  6. Remove all rough contact surfaces from spindle. Apply a coating of lubricant.

Caution: Use care to prevent inner wheel bearing and seal from contacting spindle threads during installation.

1. Carefully slide the hub/rotor onto the spindle. Install outer wheel bearing, washer and retaining nut.
  2. Tighten the nut to 41-54 Nm (30-40 ft. lbs.) to preload bearing while rotating the hub/rotor. Stop hub/rotor and loosen nut to completely release bearing preload torque. Tighten the nut finger-tight and install the nut lock. Install a new cotter pin.

Note: The end play should be 0.25-0.076 mm (0.001-0.003 in.).

1. Clean the dust cap and apply a coating lubricant to the internal surface. Do not fill the dust cap with lubricant. Install the cap.
  2. Install the brake caliper.
  3. Install the when and tire assembly and lower the vehicle.

graphic

I was told previously that the entire hub assembly needed to be replaced at approx $140 per hub. Do I understand that this only applies to later model Dodge 1500XXXXXtrucks, and that I should be able to buy the bearings and races I need at most any auto parts store?
only the four wheel drive models have that sealed bearing assembly.yes the bearing and races should be easy to find at any parts store. be sure to repack the bearing and install new seals.
the expert
the expert, ASE Certified Technician
the expert
the expert
the expert, ASE Certified Technician