Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

1997 dodge dakota: the speedo, tach and gages stopped working..stereo

Customer Question
my son has a 1997...
my son has a 1997 dodge dakota. the speedo, tach and gages stopped working. this happened after he accidently touched a hot wire and ground together from the battery to test a stereo woofer he was planning to install. the running lights and turn signals all work in the cluster but not the gages. thank you so much for your time. sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX wa.
i forgot to mention that i did check fuses and breakers. all appear to be okay
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dodge
10/18/2010
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 7 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

AMEDEE :

Hello!

AMEDEE :

Did you still need help?

AMEDEE :

HAve you ran a self test on the instrument cluster?

Customer :

hello, i'm retired and trying to help him out a little but i have no test equipment

AMEDEE :

I would recommend to Check the Ignition-Off Draw (IOD) fuse in the junction block

AMEDEE :

This fuse can blow causing this problem

Customer :

ok, i can do that. i told him to always disconnect the battery,lol

AMEDEE :

It might just be a simple as that

AMEDEE :

Check all of the fuses inside the vehicle and even under the hood

AMEDEE :

IT sounds ot me like just a blown fuse

Customer :

hope so because i understand that cluster is quite expensive

AMEDEE :

IF they all check out good, then try disconnecting the battery for about 5 minutes and then reconnecting it to see if that does the trick

AMEDEE :

YES.. it can be

AMEDEE :

THere are also several things that can cause this probelm

AMEDEE :

besides the cluster itself

Customer :

yes, i did check all the fuses

Customer :

i did disconnect the battery but no change

AMEDEE :

Ok... good!

Customer :

what else might i check

AMEDEE :

Here is some info from alldata

AMEDEE :

Preliminary Diagnosis

1. If the indicator lamps operate, but none of the gauges operate, go to Step 2. If all of the gauges and the data bus message-controlled indicator lamps are inoperative, go to Step 5.
  2. Check the Ignition-Off Draw (IOD) fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 3. If not OK, repair the shorted circuit or component as required and replace the faulty fuse.
  3. Check for battery voltage at the IOD fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 4. If not OK, repair the open circuit as required.
  4. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Remove the instrument cluster as described. Connect the battery negative cable. Check for battery voltage at the fused B(+) circuit cavity of the cluster wire harness connector. If OK, go to the Self-Diagnostic Test. If not OK, repair the open circuit to the IOD fuse as required.
  5. Check the switched ignition fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 6. If not OK, repair the shorted circuit or component as required and replace the faulty fuse.
  6. Turn the ignition switch to the On position and check for battery voltage at the switched ignition fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 7. If not OK, repair the open circuit to the ignition switch as required.
  7. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Reinstall the instrument cluster. Connect the battery negative cable. Turn the ignition switch to the On position. Set the parking brake. The red brake warning lamp should light. If OK, go to Step 8. If not OK, go to Step 9.
  8. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Turn on the park lamps and adjust the panel lamps dimmer rheostat to the full bright position. The cluster illumination lamps should light. If OK, go to Step 10. If not OK, repair the power ground circuit from the instrument cluster wire harness connector to ground as required.
  9. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Remove the instrument cluster as described. Connect the battery negative cable. Turn the ignition switch to the On position. Check for battery voltage at the fused ignition switch output (run/start) circuit cavity of the cluster wire harness connector. If OK, go to the Self-Diagnostic Test. If not OK, repair the open circuit to the junction block as required.
  10. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Remove the instrument cluster as described. Check for continuity between the logic ground circuit cavity of the cluster wire harness connector and a good ground. There should be continuity. If OK, go to the Self-Diagnostic Test. If not OK, repair the open circuit to ground as required.

Self-Diagnostic Test

The instrument cluster self-diagnostic test will put the cluster into its self-diagnostic mode. In this mode the cluster can perform a self-diagnostic test that will confirm that the cluster circuitry, gauges, and lamps are capable of operating as designed.

However, there may still be a problem with the CCD data bus, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) , the Airbag Control Module (ACM) , the Controller Anti-lock Brake (CAB) , or the inputs to one of these modules. Use a DRB scan tool and the proper Diagnostic Procedures for testing of these components.

1. Begin the test with the ignition switch in the Off position.
  2. Depress the trip odometer reset button.
  3. While holding the trip odometer reset button depressed, turn the ignition switch to the On position, but do not start the engine.
  4. Keep the trip odometer reset button depressed for about ten seconds, until CHEC appears in the odometer display, then release the odometer reset button.
AMEDEE :
  1. A series of three-digit numeric failure messages may appear in the odometer display, depending upon the failure mode. If a failure message appears, see the Instrument Panel, Gauges and Warning Indicators/Instrument Panel/Instrument Cluster Failure Message chart for the description and proper correction. If no failure message appears, the Self-Diagnostics will proceed as described in Step 6.
  2. The cluster will begin the odometer walking segment test. This test will require the operator to visually inspect each odometer segment as it is displayed to determine a pass or fail condition. First, all of the segments will be illuminated at once; then, each individual segment of the odometer display will be illuminated in sequence. If any segment in the display fails to illuminate, repeat the test to confirm the failure. If the failure is confirmed, replace the faulty instrument cluster. Following the odometer walking segment test, the cluster Self-Diagnostic Test will automatically proceed as described in Step 7.
  3. The cluster will perform a bulb check of each indicator lamp that the cluster circuitry controls. If an individual amber indicator lamp does not illuminate during this test, the instrument cluster should be removed. However, check that the incandescent lamp bulb is not faulty and that the bulb holder is properly installed on the circuit board before considering instrument cluster replacement. If the bulb and bulb holder check OK, replace the faulty cluster. Each of the red indicators are illuminated by a Light Emitting Diode (LED) . If an LED fails to illuminate during this test, the instrument cluster must be replaced. Following the bulb check test, the cluster Self-Diagnostic Test will automatically proceed as described in Step 8.
  4. The cluster will perform a gauge actuator test. In this test the cluster positions each of the gauge needles at three different calibration points, then returns the gauge needles to their relaxed positions. If an individual gauge does not respond properly or at all during the gauge actuator test, the instrument cluster should be removed. However, check that the gauge terminal pins are properly inserted through the spring-clip terminal pin receptacles on the circuit board before considering instrument cluster replacement. If the gauge terminal connections are OK replace the faulty instrument cluster.
  5. The Self-Diagnostic Test is now completed. The cluster will automatically exit the self-diagnostic mode and return to normal operation at the completion of the test, if the ignition switch is turned to the Off position during the test, or if a vehicle speed message indicating the vehicle is moving is received from the PCM on the CCD data bus during the test.
  6. Go back to Step 1 to repeat the test, if required.

Cluster Illumination Lamp

The diagnosis found here addresses an inoperative instrument cluster illumination lamp condition. If the problem being diagnosed includes inoperative exterior lighting controlled by the headlamp switch, that system needs to be repaired first. If the exterior lamps controlled by the headlamp switch are inoperative, refer to Lighting and Horns for diagnosis. If no exterior lighting system problems are found, the following procedure will help locate a short or open in the cluster illumination lamp circuit.

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, REFER TO AIR BAGS AND SEAT BELTS/AIR BAGS BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. FAILURE TO XXXXX PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

1. Check the fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 2. If not OK, repair the shorted circuit or component as required and replace the faulty fuse.
  2. Turn the park lamps on with the headlamp switch. Rotate the headlamp switch knob counterclockwise to just before the interior lamps detent. Check for battery voltage at the fuse in the junction block. Rotate the headlamp switch knob clockwise while observing the test voltmeter. The reading should go from battery voltage to zero Volts. If OK, go to Step 3. If not OK, repair the open circuit to the headlamp switch or refer to Lighting and Horns to diagnose the headlamp switch.
  3. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Remove the instrument cluster bezel and the cluster assembly. Turn the headlamp switch off. Remove the fuse from the junction block. Probe the fused panel lamp dimmer switch signal circuit cavity of the cluster wire harness connector. Check for continuity to a good ground. There should be no continuity If OK, go to Step 4. If not OK, repair the short circuit as required.
  4. Reinstall the fuse in the junction block. Connect the battery negative cable. Turn the park lamps on with the headlamp switch. Rotate the headlamp switch knob counterclockwise to just before the interior lamps detent. Check for battery voltage at the fused panel lamp dimmer switch signal circuit cavity of the cluster wire harness connector. If OK, replace the faulty bulb(s) and bulb holder(s). If not OK, repair the open circuit as required.
AMEDEE :

Be sure fuse 11 and fuse 12 check out good. THey both supply power to the instrument cluster.

Customer :

i appreciate that very much.

AMEDEE :

HEre is a diagram

AMEDEE :

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!

Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE

Customer :

i really appreciate the information. looks like i have some work to do

AMEDEE :

:)

Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician