Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2000 Dodge Caravan, passenger window is stuck in the up position.

2000 Dodge Caravan, passenger window is stuck in the up position. Motor is straining trying to move it but no go. Window moves only about 1/8 inch up & down when you activate the switch. More to the story.
rb
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

Hello!

Does it seem like the window is biding up when you try and move it up and down?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not sure, It moves on the rear side (toward back of car) about 1/8 inch up and down. Should I try to push it down with the switch in the down position ???
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

Sure... you could try that.

If the window is going down crooked, it could have came off track. Your window regulator could have went bad. However if your regulator is good and the window has not come off track, the window motor itself could just be bad.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Three questions:
1. I'm going to run our to the car and try switch down and push window down. So will you be here when I get back ???

2. If I need to replace motor and regulator, I know I have to lower the window half way so as to remove the clips holding the glass. So how do you get the window down if it will not move ???
I would think loosening the regulator would be a real mess unless you get the glass all the way down.

3. How do you tell if the window is off the track. I only see one track ie toward the front of the door.
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

YES... I will be on line all day.

When you unbolt the motor/regulator from the door, the whole assembly will be free and you should be able to get either the window to move or gain access to the bolts that hold it in place. MOst likely 10 mm bolts. You may need to use a swivel.

There are two small guides on each side of the window. Just be sure the window is riding in those guides.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ref; unbolting regulator, how is that going to allow the window to come down so I can remove the clips that hold the glass the the two vertical regulator pieces ??

What is a swivel ???
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

With the regulator unbolted, you should be able to move the entire assembly up or down a few inches to give you better access to the bolts that you need to remove.

A swivel is a socket that allows you to unscrew a bolt from an angle.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
not sure what bolts you are talking about. the regulator is held by 35 torx bolts,top & bottom & rt & lt, and the bottom of the window glass by clips 3/4" wide and 1 & 1/4 long to the regulator.
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.
If there are no bolts holding the window to the regulator, then you will either have to remove the clips or maybe the after the regulator is unbolted, you can slide the regulator rail off of the window mounting brackets. Sometimes they just slide right off.
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

Here is the procedure from alldata.

WINDOW REGULATOR

REMOVAL

1. Remove the watershield. Refer to Front Door Panel.

Fig. 16

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

1. Remove door glass retaining clips and secure the window in the up position using masking tape or equivalent (Fig. 16).
  2. Disconnect wire connector from power window motor, if equipped.

Fig. 17

Register Here

1. Loosen screws attaching front and rear window guide rails to inner door panel (Fig. 17).
  2. Remove screw heads on guide rails from key hole slots in inner door panel.
  3. Loosen screws attaching regulator to inner door panel.
  4. Remove regulator from inner door panel.

Fig. 18

Register Here

1. Extract rear guide rail through inner door panel rear access hole (Fig. 18).
  2. Extract front guide rail through front access hole.

INSTALLATION

1. Insert front guide rail through front access hole.
  2. Insert rear guide rail through rear access hole.
  3. Place window regulator in position on inner door panel.
  4. Place screw heads on guide rails in position through key hole slots in inner door panel.
  5. Tighten screws to attach front and rear guide rails to inner door panel.
  6. Connect wire connector into power window motor, if equipped.
  7. Install door glass.
  8. Verify door glass alignment and operation.
  9. Install sound shield and door trim panel.