sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My 2004 Dodge 2500 Ram Diesel has an air conditioning problem.

My 2004 Dodge 2500 Ram Diesel has an air conditioning problem. Ice cold air is blowing out of the two driver side air vents but only slightly cool air is blowing out of the two passanger air vents. What do I need to do to fix this? thanks. I'm on an island so can't take my truck to a dodge dealer but can order parts and or fix it myself with detailed instruction.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Can you control the temperature on the passenger side when it's on heat?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not sure. Let me check and I'll get back to you.
Not a problem.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, I can control the temperature on the passenger side when the heat is on. The heat blowing out of all of the vents at the same temperature.
It sounds like you may not have a problem with the blend doors in the heater box then. If you can control the temperature ok on heat then that tells us the blend doors shouldn't be broken, which does happen sometimes on these trucks.

The first thing you are going to want to do is have the a/c system evacuated and recharged to the proper level. When the charge level gets low on these it will cause the air to be cooler on the left side than the right. Instead of the air being in a common plenum type setup in the heater box, one side of the truck gets air off one side of the evaporator and the other side of the truck gets air from the other side of the evaporator. when the a/c charge starts to get low it will be able to cool one side of the evaporator ok, but the other side won't. This leaves you with colder air on the driver's side and warmer on the passenger side.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

If the charge is low, does that mean there is a leak somewhere that needs to be fixed?

I guess what I'm asking is how does the charge get low if there is no leak?

There could be an actual leak, or maybe not. What is normally done at the time of recharging the system is a dye is added. If the dye leaks out the leak can be found using an ultraviolet light and some special glasses.

Depending on how low it is there may not actually be a leak. Since the molecules of R134a are so small it's considered normal to lose a small amount over time, right through the rubber components in the system.