Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

iHAVE A 2002 DODGE DAKOTA IT HAS NO IGNITION SPARK I HAVE TRIED

Customer Question
A NEW COIL,CRANK SENSOR, DIST...
iHAVE A 2002 DODGE DAKOTA IT HAS NO IGNITION SPARK I HAVE TRIED A NEW COIL,CRANK SENSOR, DIST. CAP,ROTOR BUTTON AND DIST. MODULE AND STILL NO SPARK ODOMETER FLASHES 4 TIMES AND NO BUS APPEARS.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/12/2010
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 7 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello!

The first thing to do is to be sure the computer is awake. Turn the key on and check reference voltage to the tps, cam and crank sensors. If there is full reference voltage, check to be sure the ASD relay is engaging when trying to start the engine and that there is power to the injectors and coil/coils when cranking. IF there is no power to the injectors or coil when cranking and the ASD relay is not engaging, then we might have a bad cam or crank sensor (or a valve timing issue).

If there is no reference voltage to these sensors with the key on, then the computer might not be waking up. We will need to check all powers and grounds going into the computer with the key on. This includes, all powers through the computer fuses, fusible links and even the ignition switch.

Hint: Sometimes the cam and crank sensors can short out and pull the computer down temporarily. If all powers and grounds check out and we still do not have any reference voltage to the cam, crank or the tps, then disconnect them one by one with the key on to see if the reference voltage comes back. If so, then one of the sensors is bad and will need to be replaced.

what is the asd relay ? ihave voltage but no spark at ignition this truck does not have a cam sensor.

Hello!

Sorry for the delay!

The ASD relay is the auto shut down relay! It supplies power to the fuel injectors and ignition coil/coils.

I want to see if the injectors and ignition coil/coils are getting battery power as you are cranking the engine over.

IF not, then I would suggest checking the reference voltage to the crank sensor to be sure the computer is awake and the computer is not being shorted out for some reason. You will have to check reference voltage to the crank sensor with the key in the on position.

Hello!

I am just checking up on you.

Did you have any further questions?
I HAVE CHECKED ALL RELAYS IN THE PANEL UNDER THE SO WHERE IS THE ASD RELAY YOU SAY IF THE COMPUTER IS NOT AWAKE WHAT THEN.I HAVE NO CURRENT COMING TO THE SENSORS THAT U ASKED ME TO CHECK SO WHAT NEXT THE NOT AWAKE DOES THAT MEAN REPLACE IT. WHEN THIS HAPPENED I LISTEND TO THE RADIO ON ACC. FOR SEVERAL HOURS. I WORK THIRD SHIFT SO I AM NOT JUST NOT SENDING YOUR MONEY JUST NOT ABLE WORK ON TRUCK EVERY DAY. THANKS ORVI MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS

Hello!

The 5-pin, 12-volt , Automatic Shutdown (ASD) relay is located in the Power Distribution Center (PDC)

graphic

i know where the relay is supposed be but there is no listing for asd relay . you said the computer is not awake what then replace it?

Hello!

I am saying to check to see if the computer is awake or not. If the computer is not awake, then we check the inputs to the computer and make sure that the computer is not getting shorted out causing it to not wake up.

back to the asd what is it called in the panel there is no asd in the panel.and all leads to computer look fine any thing else to check?

Turn the key on and check for a 5 volt reference to the tps under the hood.

Let me know!

I HAVE 5.14 VOLTS AT TPS WHAT NEXT?

Ok.. good!

Do we know if the ASD is activating when cranking the engine over?

I HAVE N O IDEA AS I HAVE SAID IN OTHER EMAILS I CAN FIND A ASD IN THE CONTROL BOX I ASKED YESTERDAY IF IT IS LISTED AS SOMETHINGH ELSE BUTU DID NOT ANSWER THAT.

Sorry for the delay!

Ok.. lets do this... lets check the ignition coil for power when cranking the engine over.

This will tell us if the ASD is getting activated or not when cranking the engine over.

There is a few wires going to the ignition coil. Just them all to see if any one of them has battery voltage WHILE CRANKING the engine over.

I HAVE 5.14 VOLTS TO CRANK SENSOR AND 5.13 TO CAM SENSOR BUT THERE IS NO ONE HERE TO CRANK TRUCK SO I CAN NOT CHECK COIL TODAY WIL TERY RO DO THAT TOMORROW AND LET YOU KNOW DOES IT SOUND LIKE THE PCM?

NO... this is good! THis is what the cam and crank sensor is supposed to be getting from the computer for a reference voltage. THis tells me that the computer is awake.

The next step would be to check the signals from each of these sensors with a lab scope. If either of the sensors signals are bad, either the sensor itself is bad (even if it is new) or the reluctor or trigger wheel that the sensor reads is at fault.

HOwever since you most likely do not have a lab scope, then the next thing to do is check the ignition coil to see if it has power when cranking the engine over.

AND IF THE COIL HAS FIRE WHAT IS THE PROBLEM OR POSSIBLE CAUSES I NEED THIS TRUCK .
Well if there is no spark coming from the ignition coil but it has battery voltage when cranking, then you will just need to check for a ground signal trigger to the ignition coil. THis is the signal to fire the spark. If both are present and the ignition coil is not firing spark when cranking the engine over, the ignition coil is bad and will need to be replaced.

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!
Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE
ALL THE PARTS WE HAVE DISSCUSSED ARE NEW SO THERE YOU HAVE IT SO NO YOUR ANSWER HAS NOT HELPED ME ALL RELAYS ARE NEW ALSO.
If you do my tests.. it will lead you to the problem....
ok i did the last test have current while cranking and tried 2 coils neither one starts the truck i know both new coils are not bad
Ok.. do we have battery voltage at the ignition coil while cranking the engine over?
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician