Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE: you replace the power steering pump..3.8L

How do you replace the...
How do you replace the power steering pump on a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE with a 3.8L engine?
8/7/2010
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
hi, here is the procedure on removal and replacement of the power steering pump.

NOTE: Before proceeding with this procedure, review the SERVICE WARNINGS AND CAUTIONS found under Service Precautions.

REMOVAL

1. Remove the (-) negative battery cable from the battery and isolate cable.
  2. Remove cap from power steering fluid reservoir.
  3. Using a siphon pump, remove as much power steering fluid as possible from the power steering fluid reservoir.
  4. Raise vehicle on jack stands or centered on a frame contact type hoist.
  5. Disconnect the oxygen sensor wiring harness from the vehicle wiring harness. Access to connection at vehicle wiring harness is through the oxygen sensor wiring harness grommet in the floor pan of the vehicle. NOTE: The exhaust system needs to be removed from the engine to allow for an area to remove the power steering pump from the vehicle.
  6. Remove the catalytic converter from the exhaust manifold. Then remove all the exhaust system hangers/isolators from the brackets on the exhaust system.

1. Move the exhaust system as far rearward and to the left side of the vehicle as possible.

1. Raise the heat sleeve on the power steering hoses to expose the hose to steel tube connection. Remove the hose from the power steering fluid return line on the front suspension cradle. Allow the remaining power steering fluid to drain from the pump and fluid reservoir through the removed return hose.

1. Remove the accessory drive splash shield.

1. Remove the serpentine accessory drive belt from the engine.

1. Remove the power steering fluid supply hose coming from the remote fluid reservoir, from the fit tiny on the power steering pump. Drain off excess power steering fluid from hose.
  2. Remove the power steering fluid pressure line from the power steering pump. Drain excess power steering fluid from tube.
  3. Remove the power steering fluid return hose from the power steering pump. Drain excess power steering fluid from tube.

1. Remove the support bracket at the rear of the power steering pump attaching the pump to the rear of the engine.

1. Remove the 3 bolts mounting the power steering pump to the alternator/power steering pump and belt tensioner mounting bracket.
  2. Remove the power steering pump from its mounting bracket.
  3. The power steering pump is removed from the vehicle by pulling it out through the exhaust tunnel area in the floor pan of the vehicle.
  4. If transferal of the power steering pump pulley is necessary, refer to Disassembly and Assembly.

INSTALLATION

1. Install power steering pump back in vehicle using the reverse order of its removal through the exhaust tunnel are of the vehicle.
  2. Install the power steering pump on its mounting bracket. Install the 3 power steering pump mounting bolts. Tighten the power steering pump mounting bolts to a torque of 54 Nm (40 ft. lbs.) .
  3. Install the support bracket attaching rear of power steering pump to engine. Tighten the nut and bolt holding the strut assembly to bracket and the intake manifold stud to a torque of 54 Nm (40 ft. lbs.) . NOTE: Before installing power steering pressure hose on power steering pump, inspect the O-ring on the power steering pressure hose for damage and replace if required.
  4. Install the power steering fluid pressure line onto the output fitting of the power steering pump. Tighten the pressure line to pump fitting tube nut to a torque of 31 Nm (276 inch lbs.) .
  5. Install the power steering fluid, low pressure return hose on the power steering pump low pressure fitting. Be sure hose clamps are properly reinstalled.
  6. Install the power steering fluid supply hose from the power steering fluid reservoir, on the power steering pump fluid fitting. Be sure hose is clear of accessory drive belts and all hose clamps are properly reinstalled.
  7. Install the serpentine drive belt.
  8. Install the power steering fluid return hose on the steel tube at the front suspension cradle.
  9. Install a screw type hose clamp on the power steering hose to steel tube connection. Be sure hose clamps are properly reinstalled. Tighten the screw clamp to a torque of 2 Nm (18 inch lbs.) . CAUTION: The protective heat shield sleeves must cover the entire rubber hose and hose to tube connection portion of both the power steering fluid pressure and return hoses. This is required to keep the power steering hoses from becoming overheated.
  10. When used, properly position the protective heat sleeves on the power steering hoses. Then, tie strap the heat sleeves to the power steering hoses to keep them in their proper position.
  11. Install the exhaust pipe on the exhaust manifold. Install all exhaust system hangers/isolators on the exhaust system brackets.
  12. Connect the oxygen sensor wiring harness to the vehicle wiring harness. Install wiring harness grommet in the floor pan of the vehicle.
  13. Install the accessory drive splash shield.
  14. Lower vehicle.
  15. Connect the negative battery cable on the negative battery post.
  16. Perform the POWER STEERING PUMP INITIAL OPERATION service procedure to properly fill and bleed the power steering system. See: Initial Operation

please make copies or print the pages i just send you right away.
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
Thanks for all your information.
thank you.
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech