Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 2000 Dodge Stratus 2.4 L 4 cyl that has no spark at

Customer Question
coil pack. I have replaced...
I have a 2000 Dodge Stratus 2.4 L 4 cyl that has no spark at coil pack. I have replaced coil pack and still no spark. What next?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dodge
8/1/2010
Dodge Mechanic: ALLTECH, Ase Master and L1 advanced level. replied 7 years ago
ALLTECH
ALLTECH, Ase Master and L1 advanced level.
Hello, Jason here to help. Does it have injection pulse? Do you hear/feel the injectors click when cranking? The timing belts are very common failures, either slipped, or broken. How is it? If it slips, and the sensor signals go out of time, no spark and no injection pulse...If you have a test light, and a multimeter, we can run some tests.
Let me know, Jason

Edited by ALLTECH on 8/1/2010 at 3:57 AM EST
We haven't checked the injection pulse out (we will), we do have a test light so how do we go about testing the timing belt?
Check the injection pulse with the test light by clamping the test light to the positive battery post, then with the tip probe a unplugged injector harness. When cranked over the test light should flash. The computer uses a ground to pulse the injectors and the other wire will be 12V when ever the key is on. If no injection pulse, then remove the upper timing cover to inspect the timing belt and marks. The mark on the crank pulley will line up with a TDC or 0 marker on the lower cover, the upper timing mark is just two notches that line up if I recall. If they don't line up, rotate the engine by hand 360 degrees until the crank XXXXX XXXXXnes up again, then look at the cam gear marks
Jason
ok, so we did test the fuel injectors and we got nothing. Then we checked the timing belt and there was no mark on the lower part.
I forgot to mention that the lower timing marks are on the hub behind the pulley on your 2.4. The main crank pulley will need to be removed to see the two triangles that point to one another. A puller might be needed to remove it. With no spark and no injection pulse, the timing needs to be checked for sure. You may be able to pull the number 1 plug, and carefully feel the piston move up to its highest point before starting to go down again. That will get you close enough to see if the belt is off a tooth or two causing the issue.
Jason
ALLTECH
ALLTECH