Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720
Dodge

Dodge caravan cruise control stopped working. It wont even

Dodge caravan cruise control stopped... Show More
Dodge caravan cruise control stopped working. It won't even come on What do I need to check first?
Category: Dodge
replied 7 years ago.
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!.

Let's start with a quick code check. Your 2001 Caravan supports a code-read feature that lets you extract powertrain-related trouble codes without a scan tool by following this little chicken dance...

Roll the key from off to on three times, leaving it ON.
Watch the odometer window in the instrument cluster for code display.
This will be followed by "P-done" (or just "done") when completed whether any codes were present or not.
It might not work the first time, but there's no problem with trying it repeatedly. Change your key cycle cadence a bit... faster/ slower... until it gives you results.

Talk shortly,
Ed
Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
Tried the P-code but it just said done. Also the instrument panel will not light up only the odometer so I can't drive at night. The cruise used to work but when I push the cruise button, the cruise indicator now does not come on by the odometer. I couldn't find a fuse under the hood for these.
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. P-done shows there to be no codes stored.
Do you happen to have an AIRBAG lamp illumination while driving by chance?

I'm not sure just what to make of your instrument cluster at this point. Is it only the background illumination that's inoperative? Have you tried turning the manual adjustment wheel on your headlamp switch assembly? By all means give it a try if not (park or headlamps must be on to enable this function).

It might be worth performing a cluster self-test to find out whether the cruise lamp actually works. The procedure I'll describe will cause the cluster to exercise each and every gauge, background illumination, telltale bulb and PRNDL/ odometer digital segment. At the end of the test there may be a 3-digit code stored in the odometer window.

Let's give it a shot.

Begin this with the key OFF.
Push and hold the trip odometer reset button.
Then roll the key ON.
Continue holding the button until the cluster begins waking up or about 5 seconds, whichever come first.
Watch as each portion of the cluster performs its self test, ending with the code display. If you want to see something happen again, the whole test must be started over, but that's OK. No harm done.

If code 999 shows up, push the trip button again.

Talk shortly (again),
Ed