Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

1996 Dodge: Van..with 4 speed od trans also has an updated oil cooler

Customer Question
Please tell me th towing...
Please tell me th towing capacity of a 1996 Dodge Van 250 with 4 speed OD trans also has an updated oil cooler and 318 engine fuel injected. Thank you. The label on the door post says 6800GVW. Hope you can help, we want to buy a bigger trailer. Pull a 17 foot at the moment. The trailer people have said from 4500 up to 7000 but I need to know. Don't want to burn the engine out labouring up steep Pa hills. Thank you for your help.
Seriel is 2B7HB21Y9TK167313
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dodge
7/13/2010
Dodge Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

The towing capacity of your van is 4600 lbs.

How much does the current trailer weigh loaded/wet?

George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
George, I believe it is in the 4000 to 5000 class. I wanted to know will the HD rad and a HD oil cooler jump the towing capacity up a bit. I mentioned the door pillar says 6800GVW

The heat dissapation of the trans cooler and the radiator will help the engine and trans stay cool but will do nothing to increase the weight capacity of the suspension.

The GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) is not the towing capacity. The GVW is what the suspension will carry and includes the weight of the vehicle, the fluids and the cargo placed inside the vehicle.

Your towing capacity is 4600 lbs and a class 3/4 weight distributing hitch may push that to 5000 but the braking system is not rated for more than the 4600 lbs.

If you want to tow more and be safe you will need a larger capacity vehicle.

George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician